Reminder: Ferry / Bus Schedules Posted Online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johncn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Although most while travel by bus and ferry in the Philippines know this, just a reminder to double and triple check your ferry and bus details in person before making assumptions. Ferry schedules change especially often, and very hard (sometimes impossible) to verify online. If the ferry service has a Facebook page, that’s likely your best source.

Why am I mentioning this? Well, for example, in the wake of Super Typhoon Odette (December 2021), travel in the Visayas has changed temporarily for many ferry routes. These changes continue to ripple through schedules. As ports reopen, they change again.

We were in Sogod Bay last week, and headed to Mindanao. Despite verifying the Liloan to Surigao City routes with both carriers’ websites (Fast Cat & Montenegro), things were a little off. We noticed ferries in the bay that were not on the I same schedule as posted, so verified by phone prior to heading out.

We get to Liloan (1.5 to 2 hours from Padre Burgos) early and get our Fast Cat tickets. Schedule matches our expectations…yay! Ticket just has Fast Cat and Surigao on it, no vessel or port names. Contact our hotel on the other end by text ask tell them to send a driver and to meet us in Lipata Port (about an hour drive north of the city). All good!

Getting close to Mindanao, we can see the shore. Doesn’t look like maps we had preloaded of Lipata area. Ferry keeps rolling. About an hour and a half after we thought we were going to be in Lipata, we see the Surigao City skyline. In the pouring rain. Get on cell and sure enough, we are landing about a block from hotel, while driver is waiting in Lipata an hour away…lol.

FYI: Liloan to Surigao City’s Eva Macapagal Terminal in city center has replaced the Lipata port on the Fast Cat and (I think) Montenegro routes between Mindanao and Southern Leyte. Pictures of Liloan loading, the Surigao City port below.

Liloan Loading & Fast Cat Passenger Areas

952879AF-2216-4B10-B7C7-724B01AF2D69.jpeg

30CD6442-8A07-4C9C-8DCC-7A248B15085A.jpeg

No huge deal in this case. We paid for a transfer we did not use. But, it reminded me that even as a frequent Philippine traveler, assumptions often make as ass of me! Don’t be me. 🤣

Attachments

• D8208F3D-A035-42CB-805E-FCBAA677B656.jpeg
    D8208F3D-A035-42CB-805E-FCBAA677B656.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 8C5D774C-EF7A-41B1-B525-D2521462A5D8.jpeg
    8C5D774C-EF7A-41B1-B525-D2521462A5D8.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 48
  • AEE64ADE-2716-4CE5-AECD-A88F07D7EDA7.jpeg
    AEE64ADE-2716-4CE5-AECD-A88F07D7EDA7.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 50
  • D0600286-52BC-4894-9705-3939B1D62B56.jpeg
    D0600286-52BC-4894-9705-3939B1D62B56.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 44
Johncn is offering some sage advice for anyone traveling in the Philippines. This is one of many reasons we expats who live here lovingly😊 refer to the Philippines as the "land of confusion!"

A most recent example was just last week. The EDSA Peoples Power Revolution holiday falls on February 25th, which this year was a Saturday. On Thursday night at 7pm President Marcos declared the 24th, (Friday) a holiday. So boom, anything that closes (government offices, banks, etc) on a national holiday closed. Basically without a lot of the population even knowing about it. Including my business partner, who traveled 4 hours to Manila on Thursday night to go to his bank first thing Friday morning, only to find out it was closed.

The moral of the story is, and as many reading this who have traveled a few times to the Phils will attest too, be prepared for your plans to change, and with no reason. Allow plenty of time to get from one destination to another. Plan, but be flexible. But above all, keep calm, smile, and if you do have a change of plans, consider that just part of the big adventure of the Philippines.

When I lived and worked in SE Asia in the 90's, we used to refer to it as the Philippines Fuddle factor. Somethings took inexplicitly longer to complete than others or had taken in the past, things would change with no notice and you couldn't guarantee when you would arrive or depart somewhere. All of which you should cherish rather than let it frustrate you.

I remember getting back to work 3 days late after a holiday due to the fuddle factor

When I lived and worked in SE Asia in the 90's, we used to refer to it as the Philippines Fuddle factor. Somethings took inexplicitly longer to complete than others or had taken in the past, things would change with no notice and you couldn't guarantee when you would arrive or depart somewhere. All of which you should cherish rather than let it frustrate you.

I remember getting back to work 3 days late after a holiday due to the fuddle factor
Is there some particular reason for this? Why do things like this? Or is it just incompetence.

Is there some particular reason for this? Why do things like this? Or is it just incompetence.
Incompetence is a strong word, I would say it is caused by a lack of economic development, which is a consequence of colonial powers asset stripping the country and corrupt governments being supported by western states (including the USA) which have hampered development for the last 200 years +.

This coupled with a continuing mass exodus of the educated class to earn money in developed countries and a highly populated country made up of 7,500+ islands means it has struggled to advance at the pace of many of its neighbours

Incompetence is a strong word, I would say it is caused by a lack of economic development, which is a consequence of colonial powers asset stripping the country and corrupt governments being supported by western states (including the USA) which have hampered development for the last 200 years +.

This coupled with a continuing mass exodus of the educated class to earn money in developed countries and a highly populated country made up of 7,500+ islands means it has struggled to advance at the pace of many of its neighbours
Oh please. I didn't expect a magic answer but this is silly excuse making at it's worst. This doesn't explain a President changing the date of holiday the day before. What. It never occurred to anyone that people had made plans? And it doesn't excuse not putting a port destination on a ferry ticket or even a handwritten sign on the ferry dock. It never occurred to anyone that people might want to know where they are actually going?

Oh please. I didn't expect a magic answer but this is silly excuse making at it's worst. This doesn't explain a President changing the date of holiday the day before. What. It never occurred to anyone that people had made plans? And it doesn't excuse not putting a port destination on a ferry ticket or even a handwritten sign on the ferry dock. It never occurred to anyone that people might want to know where they are actually going?
Read up on some history then comment.

Do you even know who the current president is and what he has been doing over there?

Do you know of the Marcos's?

Do you know how many educated Filipino's have to leave the country each year in search of work?

I think Mango’s basic, “Have a plan, but remain flexible!” approach is sound advice for travel in the Philippines, as well as some other places I have lived and worked.

As far as possible reasons, I won’t speculate on a dive-focused forum. It was not the intent of my post to complain, but rather to inform for those planning a trip. 🤣

“No matter where you go, there you are!”

Buckaroo Banzai & (Possibly) Confucius

Flexibility is certainly the name of the game on travelling in SE ASIA.
"Rubber time"!! Just remember you are not in Switzerland.
Getting there is half the fun.
Getting upset or losing patience etc etc never ever work.
Have fun.

@Johncn
What is the attraction in Surigao?
Dived a few days there yrs ago and it was very ordinary. I was using Punta Bilar which was miles away from the city and Jake was the boss. I hope they are still around.
Are you going to other places in Mindanao?

Back
Top Bottom