Removed Hose Protector from First Stage. Very worried please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or just buy MiFlex hoses.

​Holy spit, now I've done it.

Don't pull on hoses/"protectors" to get them off. Sheet metal snips are your friend.

Not a big deal... just replace the hose with a new one when you see excessive wear or spot some leaks. The hoses don't last as long without protectors but at least you see what's going on. I just swapped out some hoses a couple of days ago in preparation for a few dives coming up.

I always make sure to have some spares laying around.

I've had hoses last for years with no protectors.

But without protection they will rub together and start to multiply.

Never had issues with hose protectors. Mine can slide down the hose for cleaning and inspection. Better known a strain relief (that's what they do)

Since we're into terminology. In my neck of the woods pony's and deco cylinders are all called stages so there!

In the same way as a vacuum cleaner is known as a Hoover

An aubergine is an aubergine NOT an Egg plant

US English is a figment of Microsoft's imagination

just saying :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

The hose protector was very stiff. I left the protector in the second stage as it is a nice loose fit. The first stage was extremely tight. I took it off. I don't know what the long term or short term repercussions will be.

My fear is that now that the hose protector is off, I will cause the hose to fail very quickly.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2015 at 07:09 PM ----------

Dog Diver and Doc, do you guys dive with any hose protectors?
I don't use hose protectors on any of my rigs and haven't had any problems, now you can clean and inspect all connections. Get rid of the one on your second as well and happy, safe diving.

Stop publicly jerking your hose. If you must jerk your hose in public, ALWAYS wear protection.

Check out his profile. Scubadude223 has been on here since 2005 and lists himself as a solo diver. The first clue you should notice is that he has received one like for 101 comments. My guess is that he has started threads on Splits, AirII, carrying snorkels on every dive, the utility of the BFK, Shark culling in Australia (actually I am giving him a lot more credit than he deserves).

He is trolling. His wife must be out of town and they canceled Netflix.

EDIT: Just checked he started the Thread
"Diving for 2 minutes to 20 feet or 10 feet and coming to the surface"
To his credit he snagged 41 responses to to that post.
He also started "please tell me what mask to buy"
"Wetsuit too tight, please advise" back in 2006

Stop publicly jerking your hose. If you must jerk your hose in public, ALWAYS wear protection.

Check out his profile. Scubadude223 has been on here since 2005 and lists himself as a solo diver. The first clue you should notice is that he has received one like for 101 comments. My guess is that he has started threads on Splits, AirII, carrying snorkels on every dive, the utility of the BFK, Shark culling in Australia (actually I am giving him a lot more credit than he deserves).

He is trolling. His wife must be out of town and they canceled Netflix.

EDIT: Just checked he started the Thread
"Diving for 2 minutes to 20 feet or 10 feet and coming to the surface"
To his credit he snagged 41 responses to to that post.
He also started "please tell me what mask to buy"
"Wetsuit too tight, please advise" back in 2006

Perhaps you're right... but I'm sure some of the replies must have benefited at least some people? And I'm sure some of us could use a little advice on how best to protect our hoses :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom