Removing urinal cathether...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently installed a p-valve in my drysuit and wonder if there are any tricks for removing the catheter.

The best method I found is with curd soap under the shower, but it takes quite some time and I'm left with glue rests all over...
Putting some appropriate content on the TV also helps loosing the glue, but then I have to explain to my girlfriend why I'm bringing the laptop to the bathroom and that everything is for science.

How do you do it?

Here's a thread I'll be watching...

Speaking of girlfriends, I've asked Mrs. Stoo to assist with the "installation" in the past, but we just end up missing the boat... :-(

There are other threads here addressing this... pre-installation "grooming", mineral oil, heat guns etc. You might try searching while you wait for input.

Personally, I discovered (the hard way) that failing to position the adhesive far enough "up", results in a situation where it really is impossible to get the damn things off without serious discomfort.

Personally, I discovered (the hard way) that failing to position the adhesive far enough "up", results in a situation where it really is impossible to get the damn things off without serious discomfort.

Circumcision isn't that popular here in Europe, so that's not I problem I have.

Circumcision isn't that popular here in Europe, so that's not I problem I have.

Thanks for the "heads-up" about that... :cool2:

Rubbing alcohol dissolves the glue....(not a joke re "rubbing")

Speaking of girlfriends, I've asked Mrs. Stoo to assist with the "installation" in the past, but we just end up missing the boat... :-(
This is probably one of the best things I've read about p-valves. Thank you.

The usual recommendations are:
- razor (or wax if you're confident enough) a few days before using the catheter.
- warm water + soap
- there's some "glue dissolver" mentioned somewhere on the board, unfortunately I can't find the thread anymore.

I guess the recommendations for the she-p should work for us.... She-P - The P-Valve Catheter Condom for Women

I'm more or less with Drin on this one. I will add that the longer you have it on, the easier it is to get off. I usually put it on at home with the quick-disconnect fitting and then just plug in when I get suited up. Since I started doing that I've never had a painful or difficult removal experience.

Andy's tips for pee valve usage.

Do some manscapeing, nothing is worse than having one some hair stuck to the glue and being pulled every time you kick.

Shower the night before. Or for maximum adhesion wash your member and dry thoroughly right before doning the "device"

Unwrap the condom cath and cut half the "tube" end off to avoid the extra material bending over and kinking.

Install the cath rolling down to the base of Mr, Happy. Now what you will want to do is place one hand on either side of Bruno "or what ever clever name you have come up with for your member" and pretend you are making a playdough snake, this will make sure you have good adhesion all around.

When you get to the dive site route the plumbing up from the valve and back down to the tip of the cath so your member is pointing up. You want a nice sweeping bend so the tubing does not kink. I like the heavy Norprene tubing that come with the Halcyon valves.

The first time you try to relieve your self may take some concentration as you are probably not accustomed to peeing in you pants. Pick a nice rock and just hold yourself steady until it happens. Before you know it you will be crop dusting with the best of them!

After the dive or dives unzip the suit and pull down until you can get the hose and the Big Guy pointing down in s straight line. Chances are there will be some pee left in the tip of the cath and the hose as there is a slight vacuum keeping it from draining all the way. Just massage the end of the cath to get all the liquid into the hose. Once you unhook the rest of the fluid will drain out.

When you get home try and wait as long as possible before removing the cath, the longer you wait the easier it will be. I have been using baby oil with great success to soften the glue. I just work the baby oil under the base of the cath and it is off before you know it.

You will want to rinse out and disinfect the valve and hose while you are rinsing off your suit. I use a condiment type dispenser bottle with a pointed tip to flush copious amounts of water through the assembly. After the water I blow some air through the hose to dry it out. Now I close the valve and fill the whole assembly with rubbing alcohol and let sit for a while. After 15 minutes or so I open the valve and let the alcohol drain out.

This is what has worked for me for seven or so years and have not had a user related mishap. I did once however have the Duck Bill" valve leak into the suit. I was very glad I do not wear my street cloths under my drysuit. Others may have methods but this is what has worked for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom