Rental equipment failure in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, if you're brave enough to dive a rental reg with no knowledge of when it was last serviced, then tie red ribbons to your masks and ascend when they turn green.
Any chance you could rent gear from a local dive shop that you trust and take it with you on your dive trip? That way, you have rental gear that's reliable. At least, you might be able to each rent a reg set and take it with you.
That's probly the best suggestion for a vacation diver who doesn't want to own & service his/her own gear, as well as what I did for one trip before I purchased. I carry 3 regs & 2 computers just for me on every trip so if I have a problem with my gear I can resolve it with my gear.

I doubt that a vacation diver would want to service the regs annually.
You can pick up a used computer for somewhere in the $100 range. You would have to shop this used, and know what you want and what it is worth, but it is VERY worthwhile doing.

I'd look at an Aeris Atoms II, or something similar. That computer was discontinued a couple years ago, and I see them on Ebay for in the $100 range.
Really? Nice if...
They wear one each, preferably the same brand at least;

Carry spare batteries - cheap! I think I got my last one on Ebay too; not the kit, just the battery;

Carry a battery tool and know how to use it - which is easy but not something to learn on a trip;

And study the online manual well enough to work and understand it - all too rare even in new owners.
Well, the last two sold for around $200 each. Maybe this winter they'll go down in auctions.

You can report this to Padi, but there's no point; no enforcement. When you leave the US, you leave the US...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom