Rental Truck Vandalized

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say that, over the years I've been here on SB, I have read enough of the problems with Bonaire (not just truck break-ins, but theft from rooms) that it has gone to the bottom of my list of possible destinations. I wonder how many others have had that reaction?

It's still on my list of places to visit.

Liar. This isn't some third world dump. I think you'll have a harder time finding someone to let their child go with a total stranger for the day.

Please stop trolling the Bonaire forum. We get it, you had a bad experience. That doesn't justify you continuing to come here and troll.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 08:01 AM ----------

Thank Yiu!

Not a bad experience @ all..... who's trolling when you state your opinion??......Thank Yiu!

Sitting here with my morning cup-a-joe and spent the last 15 minutes reading this entire thread. Kinda like one of those bad movies that you stick with for too long just because you think...."this must be going somewhere". Then it ends and you realize it never did and your 15 minutes is lost forever..

Wow.... gearshift knob went missing.

Anyway, headed back to Bon for our 10th visit on May 2 for a 14 day trip. Have had a few incidents of petty theft over the years but no big deal. Cheap sunglasses, t-shirt, towel..etc. As always, we'll just leave the windows down, buy the walkaway insurance and not worry.

I'm certain that if Coz or Roatan, or just about anywhere else had 60 or 70 shore sites that more petty theft would occur.

By the way....I have it on good authority that the peak petty theft time of year is the first 2 weeks of May... so I strongly suggest that folks avoid Bonaire at that time.

Have you and your neighbors had the emblem stolen from your cars in your driveways over and over again for 20 years or just once? If you and your neighbors have had petty crimes committed against your cars steadily for the last 20 years then that is like Bonaire, if it happened one time, then that's like Canada.

Until more people react like the OP nothing is going to force change on Bonaire, the petty crime is petty in it's nature and is a blight and is a nuisance and unfortunately currently the admission cost you pay to dive there. It's unfortunate, it's more unfortunate that Bonaire chooses to ignore it, it's grown more and more well-known over the years and it's become part of Bonaire's reputation for being as famous for it's wonderful diving and as famous for it's well-known petty crime issue. It's like Roatan's reputation for no-seem ems and the nuisance they are, it's part of the noise you have to deal with if you want to go there. It's dumb, it sucks and it's probably not going to change since the recent changes in the government was the time if any that the issue would have been finally addressed and they didn't so I don't see it getting any better.

emblem in my driveway, once

truck vandalized in Bonaire or Curacao?...never, mind you we've only spent 10 days in Curacao and 1 week in Bonaire

as for reacting, i can see it making a difference if the concerns where voiced at a Curacao or Bonaire official office not on a forum, if someone wants to start a petition or anything that will make it up to some government officials i'm in, i'll sign it
tbh though i don't think they, the government, care much because it does not seem to be something that is totally out of control, as i said before, IMO its not any worse then here
i will have no worries whatsoever during the day, come night? its a different story, is the reason we did not go on our own for night dives, i call it common sense as one has to exercise anywhere in this world

---------- Post added April 19th, 2014 at 01:47 PM ----------

I have to say that, over the years I've been here on SB, I have read enough of the problems with Bonaire (not just truck break-ins, but theft from rooms) that it has gone to the bottom of my list of possible destinations. I wonder how many others have had that reaction?

come on, you can't be serious
i get the feeling you are a well traveled person, maybe i am wrong...but you can't possibly make your travel plans based only on some report(s) on SB that there is theft from the rooms...where did they stay, camped on the beach? i did see tents on the beach, that's why i say that
if you want to go cheap you go prepared for anything
we don't break the bank when we go away but i will not stay in unsafe places either
we just came back from Bonaire and stayed here in exactly that cottage :D
i never felt more safe and is a small resort, 6 cottages currently and the owners are on the premises at all times, well they do live there plus the property is gated and locked 24/7
the place is just across the road from Captain Don's and it really is worth every penny, if nothing else just for that gorgeous outdoor shower lol
we got a deal on this cottage because it was "almost" finished, hot tub was not hooked up, not that we would have used it after diving, but the other cottages are cheaper

Not a bad experience @ all..... who's trolling when you state your opinion??......Thank Yiu!
You show up, (in the Bonaire forum), and trash it. You do this just to post how much you dislike Bonaire.

It's called trolling. Please stop.

He trolls because he gets bites. Ignore the bottom feeder and he will go away.
My wife and I are looking forward to our second trip to Bonaire next winter. Our first trip was a few months ago and we were only home a couple of weeks and booked again.

You show up, (in the Bonaire forum), and trash it. You do this just to post how much you dislike Bonaire.

It's called trolling. Please stop.

He trolls because he gets bites. Ignore the bottom feeder and he will go away.
My wife and I are looking forward to our second trip to Bonaire next winter. Our first trip was a few months ago and we were only home a couple of weeks and booked again.

I would love to ignore such bottom feeding behavior, but I feel it is valuable to add real info and perspective to counter such deliberate propaganda.

If a new diver is reading threads, researching Bonaire, or any other thing they may be interested in learning, I think he or she deserves to know that there are Trolls deliberately spreading venom, rumor and misinformation.

It is not just Bonaire that Trolls haunt. Trollish behavior is an epidemic on the Internet where it is easy to snipe and run, anonymously. There are folks who just like to :stirpot:, and not in a nice, humorous way, or :soapbox:, to feel make themselves feel important.

One thing I need to clarify: I try to find an older gentleman to guard my stuff. They are reliable and respected by the younger generations. They need the income, being in the poorest age group. Also, I make sure they have a good lunch to share with us, and a beer in the afternoon.

It's not so much to preserve the odd truck accessory but to be able to bring comfort items, a cooler full of treats, cold beer for the afternoon, clean towels and dry clothes rather than an old rag, a crappy t-shirt and a bottle of warm water.

Beginng in @20 days a rental truck i am using on Bonaire will be parked at one remote shore dive site or another all that next week.

I am more concerned about our home here in the US while we are away. That is why we arrange for live in house sitting while we are traveling. THAT risk is far more likely to attract serious criminal behavior than an empty beat up rental truck.

Strictly my perspective, and my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom