Renting Computers in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atlas1977

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be in Maui from 9/14-9/19. I would like to get in as much bottom time as possible during my short stay and was wondering if any of the dive operations rent regulator setups with computers. This will be my first time doing an ocean dive so I am very excited. I plan on making it to Molokini and the Cathedrals. Also I thinkn I will be giving Shaka a call about shore diving, maybe do a night dive with him.

All of the rentals I've seen around here (and most of the instructors working from shore) only have depth gauges. A computer might be helpful on boats, but most shore dives are under 40ft depth, so tables work well for them. You might want to look at picking up an inexpensive dive computer before coming if you want to use one...

Aloha, Tim

Atlas1977:
I am going to be in Maui from 9/14-9/19. I would like to get in as much bottom time as possible during my short stay and was wondering if any of the dive operations rent regulator setups with computers. This will be my first time doing an ocean dive so I am very excited. I plan on making it to Molokini and the Cathedrals. Also I think I will be giving Shaka a call about shore diving, maybe do a night dive with him.
Mike Severns has ScubaPro regs with computers. They leave from the Kihei boat ramp so they may do Molokini and the St. Anthony. Both good dives, turtles sleep on the deck of the St. Anthony. But I think you have to dive with them to use their equipment.

Maui Dreams in Kihei also rents computers by the day/week. They do a lot of guided shore dives. I've heard good things about them.

http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/
http://mauidreamsdiveco.com/dive/index.php

Up north, Lahaina Divers rents regs w/computers also. You could go with them to the Cathedrals - if you catch the right trip midweek their boat is pretty uncrowded. And it's a bigger boat which is better at Lanai when the swells are up. Last time we were there, my buddy and 2 others fed the fish pre-dive.

http://www.lahainadivers.com/scuba_rental_gear.html

Thanks a lot for your help. I think I will use Lahina and go to the Cathedrals while I am at the Hyatt and use Mike when I am at the Grand Wailea. I just have to figure out when and with whom I am going to do the shore dives with, oh what a problem to have. CANNOT WAIT.

Maui Dreams is a great group -- they will take care of you for guided shore dives, and you have the added reassurance that the gear they have is well maintained and not just stored in the back of a bus (sorry, Doug!).

Also consider Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures for your boat dives out of Kihei --they run smaller boats (12 packs) and leave from the boat ramp like Mike Severn's. You will get a dive "briefing" from ERDA, but a university-lecture from MS on the wildlife... depends what you want out of your dives. :)

Call the boats and ask. A lot of the boat dives are well suited for multiprofile dives, which are a lot easier to track using a dive computer. ProDiver, Ed Robinson, Mike Severns and Extended Horizons have computers on their standard rental gear IIRC. I'd check really carefully to ensure that computers are standard on rental gear if you are using the larger dive ops such as Maui Dive Shop or Lahaina Divers.

OTOH, most shore dives are shallow, and even repetitive dives are mostly limited by air rather than NDL. So don't worry about getting a computer on rental gear used for shore dives.

Charlie99:
... most shore dives are shallow, and even repetitive dives are mostly limited by air rather than NDL. So don't worry about getting a computer on rental gear used for shore dives.

I think of the 75 dives I have so far only 4 have approached NDL, all on trips to Molokini ... and my average dive time is 54 minutes ....

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom