Repairing a Hole in a Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnidae

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good sight explaining on how and what are the best materials to use to patch a hole in trilaminate?

While diving the Thistlegorm during our 2001 trip to the Red Sea, Pearce had the misfortune of putting a nice tear in the thigh of his DUI TLS 350 trilam drysuit.

He used the patch kit from DUI to make a field repair on the liveaboard and it worked VERY well. In fact, he's used the drysuit numerous times since then and had NO problems.

~SubMariner~

Bob3, Bear dosent offer any patch kits, they just said send us the suit and we'll fix it, yah right. The hole is small and is on the thigh no were near a seam.

Sub, I'll call DUI to see if they sell patch kits.

Thanks,

Trilam patch kits work great, just one word of advice though...DO NOT PUT IT ON THE INSIDE. Unfortunately I know from experience. Patching the inside allows the inner material to wick water up into them, causing a damp dive. And by damp I mean boat entry with zipper undone damp.:eek:

Thanks MikeS

Trilam patch kits work great, just one word of advice though...DO NOT PUT IT ON THE INSIDE.

The DUI kit specifies that the patch be done from the INSIDE. And that's how Pearce did it. FYI this is not the first suit he's had to patch. Just his first DUI that needed repairs. :wink:

Perhaps you didn't use the right amount of sealant when you did your inside patch? Or didn't effectively close the hole & cover it? Hard to say.... :confused:

Frankly, I can't see doing it from the outside; it would be too much exposure of the patch itself to the elements, possible snagging, etc.

~SubMariner~

Yes, the DUI instructions do say to do that from the inside, no arguement there, but from personal experience I have learned otherwise. I now do it from both sides, as I should have put in the initial post. The first time was with the installation of a relief zipper, the next couple of times with minor holes. I found that patching from the inside works OK, but the fabric manages to wick some of the moisutre up unless you seal the hole from the outside as well. As you can imagine, the facric is exposed to the water if this is not done, and all fabrics have a wicking potential, albeit small for some types. And it does not have to look terrible, or be a hazard. If you are slow and methodical, it can barely be noticed, Do not leave any frayed edges, keep the patch as small as possible, and use the appropriate amount of glue. Oh, and btw, this idea was given to me by the DUI rep after I contacted them about the wicking action of the material. But hey, anyone can do it their own way, don't matter to me. Thought i might try to help someone avoid the troubles I had.

Back
Top Bottom