replacement card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dobbied

Reaction score
# of dives
I rec'd an SSI instructor rating back in the mid 1980's, I crossed over to YMCI as well around that time. Last week I lost my wallet somewhere and I am trying to get replacements for all my stuff. It took a ton of paperwork but I got my drivers license, my SS card is on the way,, can I get a copy of my cert card from you guys online? I was working out of; "Jim's Dive Shop" in St Petersburg FL at the time. did you keep a copy of my photo or do I need to send another. I know I let my insurance lapse but I kinda gave up on the teaching side, just want to travel and dive. My number is 904-501-5044, if you need my SSAN I'll send it to you or maybe you have a secure line? :D

I'm getting back into diving after many years away from it. I've done a refresher and am getting active again. My original certification was in 1970 and we were given 3 choices: NAUI, NASDS and PADI. NAUI and NASDS were the predominant certifications in the Dade County, FL area then so I chose them. I want to get up-to-date with my C-cards. Do I need to get an SSI card to replace my, now obsolete, NASDS card? Does SSI even have the old NASDS records?

Contact a local SSI shop or call SSI directly they can help you get your card replaced. NASDS did have a fire that destroyed many of the certification records prior to merging with SSI. So it is best if you have a copy of your card, training records or some proof of completion to replace an older NASDS card. Or if it has been quite awhile since you have dove maybe a new class and card is the best way to go.

I got my SSI replacment for my NASDS. I was able to prove 1400+ logged dives, my NASDS card had a 1972 date on it, even though I got certified in 1968 The card was issued in 1972. So my replacment card has "diving since 1972" and "more than 1400 dives" the only down side is it's OW.

I got my SSI replacment for my NASDS. I was able to prove 1400+ logged dives, my NASDS card had a 1972 date on it, even though I got certified in 1968 The card was issued in 1972. So my replacment card has "diving since 1972" and "more than 1400 dives" the only down side is it's OW.

In 1968 how old were you...14...Jr. diver.

So you certified in 68 but, your card was not processed until 72? Or a clerical error perhaps. Possibly in 68 a Jr. cert with an upgrade in 72 and recorded as such.

1400 dives is commendable. What length of lapse was between certification & replacement of card? What method did you use to prove your dives?

OW...what is the down side? Your original was only a Jr. basic. Thus, you were upgraded.

Did you ever have any actual specialties by completing continued education? You likely could get credit for your dive experience towards specialty certs if this is a concern.

Safe diving!

I'm getting back into diving after many years away from it. I've done a refresher and am getting active again. My original certification was in 1970 and we were given 3 choices: NAUI, NASDS and PADI. NAUI and NASDS were the predominant certifications in the Dade County, FL area then so I chose them. I want to get up-to-date with my C-cards. Do I need to get an SSI card to replace my, now obsolete, NASDS card? Does SSI even have the old NASDS records?

Your NASDS card is accepted pretty much worldwide. So, getting a replacement is not required though I would recommend that you do. As diving continues to evolve into recreational/family activity many of the basics and old school ideas are disappearing and many of the newbies soon will not know what NASDS is/was.

SSI has some of NASDS records.

Dive safe!

SSI & NAUI Facility

In 1968 how old were you...14...Jr. diver.

So you certified in 68 but, your card was not processed until 72? Or a clerical error perhaps. Possibly in 68 a Jr. cert with an upgrade in 72 and recorded as such.

1400 dives is commendable. What length of lapse was between certification & replacement of card? What method did you use to prove your dives?

OW...what is the down side? Your original was only a Jr. basic. Thus, you were upgraded.

Did you ever have any actual specialties by completing continued education? You likely could get credit for your dive experience towards specialty certs if this is a concern.

Safe diving!

Back then as I remember there was one scuba course, no specialties. The course was 12 weeks 2 nights per week 4 hours per night with 4 OW dives. There is nothing today that comes close. My friend and I were the only young tadpoles in the course the rest were adults. We learned more than any AOW course offers today. If I had wanted to pay the normal fee for AOW I could have had a AOW card, I just don't think it's worth it ($400). I dive on my own and rarely need to show a cert card to anyone. I was too young to be certified at the time but, one of the instructors was a teacher I had at the time in Jr. High school. He let us take the course. I got a lame looking diploma dated May-1968. He told me when I turned 18 he'd give a regular c-card which is why the 1972 date.

My continued diving education was diving as much as I could with people that had been diving for years, some were former military and commercial divers. I have many deco, wreck, night, solo, and ice dives among my 1400+ dives. (As of last week the actual number is 1932 dives.) I just couldn't prove all those dives because I lost some logs. I did carry the number over which is why I know the real number, but that wasn't enough to satisfy as proof.

I had my original card until this year when it finally broke into 3 pieces. I went to the dive shop where I was originally certified now run by the son of the man that certified me (cool huh?) and asked him about a replacement which he happily issued to me. He and I had dived together for a few years when he was a young kid because I was one of a few people his father trusted to take his kid diving. Those were great days, air fills were .75 cents, most of the time it was free for me, pay back for taking his kid diving. It was an experience that would be hard to duplicate these days.

Last edited:
AfterDark thanks for telling your tail. Its very cool that you still have great reguard for this sport after so many years.

And .75 cents for air would be great :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom