Replacement for SP-350, Sp-560 or 570?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you know how Gert is going to answer.:D
BTW, what insurance do you have? I was thinking of buying another 560 before I go to Galapagos so I'll have a spare in case I flood the one I have now. There only about $260 in some places online.

I have DEPP insurance. Good coverage but I see now the disadvantage of replacement versus cash repayment. I think I'll look at a replacement policy through my homeowners carrier. Try this thread Depp Insurance

Merxlin, have you contacted Olympus about a repair for your camera? They of course won't be able to repair it, but may have some refurbished models available. This might meet your insurance company's requirements and get you back to your SP-350 camera.

Here's Helix's U/W page:

Helix Camera and Video

You might be able to mix and match an acceptable replacement.

Fairybasslet, I was using my SP-350 in Bonaire last week. The OP's first post stated that he wanted to be able to use TTL with his external strobe. So that's why I suggested the camera models I did. That extra SP 560UZ will be a great topside camera in the Galapagos as well as U/W. Hope you find some whale sharks and come home with dry cameras.

Fairybasslet, I was using my SP-350 in Bonaire last week. The OP's first post stated that he wanted to be able to use TTL with his external strobe. So that's why I suggested the camera models I did.
Ah yes, that makes sense now.
That extra SP 560UZ will be a great topside camera in the Galapagos as well as U/W. Hope you find some whale sharks and come home with dry cameras.
Thank you. From your mouth to God's ear.

Just a FYI. I called Olympus America Service on a camera on ebay that had a "zoom error" and needed service. I've got one that I "dropped" on land, and has the same problem.

Fixed rate pricing, They get your Sp-350 up and running (don't know if this covers a major salt water flood, doubt it) for $134 and give you a 6 month warrenty on the camera.

Just a FYI

Being a loyal Olympus customer, I purchased the SP-560 specifically for u/w photos and was very disappointed. I agree with one of the earlier comments that the long zoom lens is very problematic for u/w use. The housing is extremely large and bulky. They had to add a huge window in front of the camera to allow viewing when the lens is fully retracted. Since you will most likely never use the 18x zoom u/w, you have added extra inches between the lens and the subject for macro shots. In addition, if you use an external strobe, you must use the huge diffuser or you get a shadow across half your photo (or you can use black electrical tape on the housing to cover the flash - which I did). Halfway through my vacation, I purchased a refurbished SP-350 and have been thrilled with it ever since. Sold the 560 and housing on E-bay after I got back from vacation.

The SP-560 is an excellent topside camera, but I'd look for a refurbished SP-350 for u/w use. The SP-560 is not well designed for u/w use. I think you'd be very disapointed after using the 350.

The G-9 is a faster more refined camera:

G-9 SP-350
Power on time: 1.5 sec. 2.0 sec.

Shutter Lag
autofocus wide angle: 0.57 sec. 1.22 sec.
autofocus tele: 0.69 sec. 1.17 sec.

Cycle time:
RAW capture: 2.79 sec. 7.00+ sec.
Fine JPEG: 2.12 sec. 2.19 sec.

That lag time is especially annoying. You will capture alot of fish butts with shutter lag so slow.

If you want to shoot RAW, even with the fastest HD/ H cards in the SP-350, it takes over 7.0 seconds to upload from clicking the shutter to being ready for the next shot.

These two factors could drive me into the upgrade cycle sooner rather than later.

Performance sources are from:

Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

is another reference source.

, you have added extra inches between the lens and the subject for macro shots. .

I didn't see a problem with the distance using macro. I shot this using macro. But you're right about the housing being bulky. But I was so happy with the photos I got from the 560 that I got over the bigger housing than the 7070.

YellowFrogClose3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom