replacing Focus light with Video Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanomad

Contributor
Reaction score
Debating if I should change / upgrade my Big Blue FF1x5P focus light with a video light... but which one?
Right now I shoot with the S&S YS-01 strobe and Big Blue Focus which the S&S I will continue to use for my photo action. But obviously the Big Blue focus light is a poor performer when my camera is in video mode. Camera was a E-M5 now E-M1.
I do like that the Big Blue takes AA batteries same as S&S YS-01 easy to carry & no extra charger. However it weighs 400g without batteries. These new Video lights whether Fix or Sola are LIGHTWEIGHT = around 300g WITH battery and half the size.
Another thing my Big Blue turns off when the strobe fires. Something the video light probably does not, does it matter that much with a flood beam?
Also do I want one with a flood / spot beam or is flood ONLY good enough for my use as a focus light when not taking video? Looking at the Sola 2100 (EXPENSIVE and no mounts) and FIX 2000 (comes with ALL mounts incl) or perhaps the Sola 1200 with Red light to use for focus? How is 1200 lumens for video?
Any suggestions or other makes / models preferably under US$800? Thanks

PA200336.jpgPA200381.jpg

These photos were taken with a video light used as a focus light. The video light remained on during the shutter exposure and strobe activation. I don't think a spot light will be necessary for what you're using it for. A word of caution. Good video lights are expensive. You are limiting yourself quite a bit with your $800 price limit. You may not get enough illumination out of a light that only costs $800. As with housings, lights are also more expensive than the camera itself. Consider paying about twice that to get a decent system that will provide you with sufficient light for a focus light and especially a video light.

I use a Sola 1200 as video light, focus light and also to provide back lighting and dramatic lighting for my still shots. Bonus is that it's also an excellent video light for when you want to take some video with the camera.

I use two sola 1200 video light for macro purposes. I could do with one but I like to be able to change the way the shadows display
Whatever light you change to one single light is not sufficient for wide angle, actually you need two lights and 85-90 degrees beam and plenty of power, practically there are no lights at the price point you mention that will give you wide angle
You can get a single sola 1200 but 1200 lumens are usually not required for macro, 300-600 or even the 450 you have are sufficient, what is good about the sola 1200 video is that it gives you an incredible spot 12 degrees 600 lumens that is actually a lot of light for night dives and spotting

If you want to upgrade your focus light the best all around light is the sola dive 800, it does spot and flood and can be used as dive light and works magic for macro with setting of 200/400/800 lumens. You can buy red filter to have the red light
I have done many many dives with various focus light and i needed the red beam only once so don't get hung up by that feature. Having a spot light is more effective as it saves you taking a torch on night dives

The problem I see with Sola is the battery. If it gets damaged for whatever reason you cant just replace it on the fly. The lights are completely sealed at least thats what I see. Same as the iphone.
I think I narrowed it down to the I-torch Pro 6 or Fix Neo DX 2000 anyone has any input. The I-torch has the better easy to find battery cell and comes with a spare. Where the Fix Neo has all future proof accessory mounts and can even replace the LED head if need to be plus a nice digital readout but thats not something I really care about.

Last edited:
I am using the FIX Neo 2000. It has enough light for video and can dim down to extend the time as a focus light. It comes in a package with a lot of mounting options where you have to buy the one you want with other manufacturers. I have another battery for it but they must be charged inside the light unless you get the separate charger. $700.

QUICK REVIEW: FISHEYE FIX NEO 2000DX UNDERWATER VIDEO LIGHT | Deepshots

Manufacturer :: Fisheye Fix :: Lights :: Fisheye Fix Neo 2000 DX Video Light -

oops, reread post - you already mention this model. So go buy it!

judging from this photo it seems you should be able to charge the spare battery outside as the charger and connector to the light are separate?
fix.neo.1200dx-500px_15.jpg

.....I have another battery for it but they must be charged inside the light unless you get the separate charger. $700.

QUICK REVIEW: FISHEYE FIX NEO 2000DX UNDERWATER VIDEO LIGHT | Deepshots

Manufacturer :: Fisheye Fix :: Lights :: Fisheye Fix Neo 2000 DX Video Light -

oops, reread post - you already mention this model. So go buy it!

judging from this photo it seems you should be able to charge the spare battery outside as the charger and connector to the light are separate?
View attachment 178907
Nope, the battery has to be inside the light in order to charge. The charger connects to the back of the light housing - dry or wet for charging. See charging depicted below. I do have two batteries but have not really needed the second so far as I rarely have it on full strength. I am not using it much for video. I believe there may be a separate charging station available.
FIX_NEO_charger.jpg

Back
Top Bottom