Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notabob:
All this noise... Does anyone even remember how the Oriskany came to be where she now is? She is a rusty hulk of metal, sunk primarily for the sake of fishermen, with diving merely an afterthought. And the only reason she was even considered for sinking in the first place is because sinking it was deemed cheaper than a tow to india to be chopped up and melted into what would shortly become the bumper of a garbage truck in China. Please, people, get off your high horse and go worry about and expend energy and emotion on things that really matter...

EDIT: The "rusty hulk of metal" is in no way meant to cheapen the history of the ship as well as the men and women that served on her, nor their sacrifices. We all owe them a lot.
And there we have it ladies and gentleman....a voice of reason. It's no more than picking crap off a heap in a junkyard. RELAX!

notabob:
All this noise... Does anyone even remember how the Oriskany came to be where she now is? She is a rusty hulk of metal, sunk primarily for the sake of fishermen, with diving merely an afterthought. And the only reason she was even considered for sinking in the first place is because sinking it was deemed cheaper than a tow to india to be chopped up and melted into what would shortly become the bumper of a garbage truck in China. Please, people, get off your high horse and go worry about and expend energy and emotion on things that really matter...

EDIT: The "rusty hulk of metal" is in no way meant to cheapen the history of the ship as well as the men and women that served on her, nor their sacrifices. We all owe them a lot.

Sigh. Let's tear it apart then.

Cloud the issue all you want, it doesn't matter why she's there.

Divers are ripping off other divers, and this captain is complicit in the acts.

Frog77:

Im pretty sure no one is an advocate of cutting torches and dynamite to completely destroy the wreck. Were talking about some odd trinkets and bits as momentos. There are no bodies to disturb, no historical significance to destroy. Just an old tub that got canned, lets not get too excited over it.

Frog77:

Do you seriously believe there's anything left on it to be torn apart? Maybe a rusty steel valve or two... perhaps a door hinge, or if you're lucky maybe even a toilet. Archaeologicaly important items worth state and federal protection for sure... :shakehead

First dbg40, your brave. Next for those that think this has been beaten to death, your right, but this is a forum after all, everybody gets to say there piece regardless of how redundant.
I may be seeing something that has possibly been missed, who knows, here it is
Maybe, just maybe Capt Tim knows he screwed up and just doesn't know how to make it right. The deed is done, wrong or right, I can say that there aren't many that agree that he should have allowed it to happen, a few don't care. But here is a scenario that might have happened. The diver comes up with his "artifact/souvenier" and when Capt. Tim sees it, he's thinking "great, now what do I do" This diver could have been a very good customer. So he down plays it and hopes it never happens again. Then he gets dragged through the coals by a bunch of SB ers. You really can't blame the guy for being a little defensive.
I don't think that we should be stripping the "O", so don't bother going after me on that subject, and I don't think Capt. Tim did the right thing, but I wasn't there. Telling the guy to put it back really isn't an option, you can't beat the guy up, and throwing him off the boat before it hits the dock sounds good but isn't something that would be well received by the CG.
Now I'll add that if he continues to let his divers strip the wreck then he probably could use a little re-education in conservation. I'm betting that he'll run a pretty good charter now.
A lot of SB er's have taken him to the mat, IMO, it's time to let him up and see if he'll "fly right".
Dive with him, don't dive with him, certainly your right, but EVERYBODY screws up every now and again and EVERYBODY should get a second chance and be forgiven.
I know that I've been pretty relieved when I screwed up and then was able to put it behind me and try to do better next time.
Food for thought

jonnythan:
Cloud the issue all you want, it doesn't matter why she's there.

So if I dive off this charter/ (pirate ship?) other divers will steal all of my gear??? That I won't stand for! But if you mean that there will be no old guages to look at on a full pen. deep in a wreck, I won't loose any sleep over it. Other wrecks WILL follow, trust me. some on purpose, some by accident. BUT..there will be no shortage of shipwrecks to come.

jonnythan:
it doesn't matter why she's there.

Sure it does! A wreck of historical significance (including circumstances of its sinking) is infinitely more interesting to dive and experience than an 800ft hulk of metal sunk so that Bubba in his 18ft fiberglass tub with a chevy V8 and extra fuel tanks strapped to the side could catch another grouper.

*sigh* "ripping off other divers" - by that I'm guessing that are you implying that the criminals, whose heinous crimes the capn. in question was an accomplice to, are depriving other divers from potential enjoyment of diving a particular site, correct?

Yup, my next trip to Truk I'm bringing home a bunch of stuff. There will be more of those right?

Back
Top Bottom