Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Apparently these guys took a control panel of some sort that was an interesting thing to go look at. Apparently it took some work to get it out.

This isn't a bolt or a nail or debris.. it was something to see on the dive.

The USS Intrepid is birthed in New York City. You'll find that ship in a bit better condition, with a lot more interesting things to look at then on the Oriskany... even before she hit the floor.

It's an artificial reef, it's there to promote an environment for marine life to grow and flourish. While I'm sure the missing phone may result in one or two fish that are slightly perturbed since they can't call the mess hall and tell them to be sure to hold the anchovies on the pizza for that night; they'll get over it.

Having all of the interesting bits like phones (or whatever it was) removed by divers bothers the future divers a lot more than it bothers the fish.

jonnythan:
Having all of the interesting bits like phones (or whatever it was) removed by divers bothers the future divers a lot more than it bothers the fish.

What bothers the future divers even more than that is when a stupid little thing gets blown up so vastly out of proportion that it gets pulled into the general media and populus. Thus making the non-diving public think that the divers are destroying their precious historical site [that they'll never see]. The cost then goes up on artificial reefing, making scrapping more cost effective then it was before, and causing politicians in other areas to not want the headaches....

and as a result... less reefs.

all because of some junk that people wouldn't have missed anyway.

Spectre:
What bothers the future divers even more than that is when a stupid little thing gets blown up so vastly out of proportion that it gets pulled into the general media and populus. Thus making the non-diving public think that the divers are destroying their precious historical site [that they'll never see]. The cost then goes up on artificial reefing, making scrapping more cost effective then it was before, and causing politicians in other areas to not want the headaches....

and as a result... less reefs.

all because of some junk that people wouldn't have missed anyway.

Ah the logic. Somehow now we are contributing to the increase of cost of artificial reefing by speaking out against vandalising a wreck. I like your way of thinking. :sarcasm:

Frog77:
Ah the logic. Somehow now we are contributing to the increase of cost of artificial reefing by speaking out against vandalising a wreck. I like your way of thinking. :sarcasm:
:lol:

One of my favorite dives around these parts is the Poling. It's been dived continuosly almost every single weekend since it's been sunk. There's hardly anything left on it, yet I still love the dive. Why you may ask? There's nothing left to look at, right? Because to me, and to many other divers, I'm sure, the attraction of salt-water wreck diving isn't just the little tidbits, interesting though they may be, that are left on the wreck, but how the wreck gradually becomes a part of the ocean... How the ocean gradually changes the wreck from year to year, reclaims it and conquers it, until there's nothing left than a few hull plates buried in sand, if that. You swim around or inside the wreck, you absorb its history, you experience what it is and how it changes over time. If you like to look at hinges and plastic telephone handsets from 30yrs ago - go to a museum...

Frog77:

You don't live here. You don't hear the talk. Hell, just last night I had someone ask me if they really were going to make the Oriskany off-limits, because I'm the only diver they know [which is what brought me here to see what all the damn fuss was about].

I haven't seen the wreck.

Apparently it's at least mildly interesting.

If you think it's worthless as a dive site the way it's worthless to the government, then fine. Say so.

If it's not worthless as a dive site, then it's worth preserving as is and not stripping every interesting bit.

jonnythan:
I haven't seen the wreck.

Apparently it's at least mildly interesting.

If you think it's worthless as a dive site the way it's worthless to the government, then fine. Say so.

If it's not worthless as a dive site, then it's worth preserving as is and not stripping every interesting bit.

I didn't say it's worthless. I said it's an artificial reef.

If you want to see artifacts, go to a museum. If you want to see a shipwreck, go see a shipwreck. If you start enjoying a shipwreck for what it is, you'll get a lot more out of diving then being disappointed because a phone is missing.

<Spectre heads over to the local high school to see if the drunk driving display wreck actually still has it's stereo>

Back
Top Bottom