Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
thanks, you made my point.

What's painfully obvious here is that you have no point.

pilot fish:
I thought that was the reason for this thread?

Nice pics

True, but it is getting out of hand. Just a suggestion.

I personally think that WAY too many people are WAY too quik to let persons who are directly responsible for good stewardship get off WAY too easy because they made a mistake.
But maybe Im just a harsh opinionated azz who wants to be able to see a decent shape wreck look somewhat similar when I come back a couple years later (hurricanes not withstanding)
my 2 psi

NWGratefulDiver:
I doubt it ... one of our most interesting local wrecks ... the Diamond Knot ... went down in 1947.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

An awful lot of hurricanes you guys get up there in puget sound. I've dived <20yr old artificial reefs off Pensacola so broken up and twisted up by the storms you can barely tell what's what anymore. I can hardly imagine what they'll look like in 40-60...

-Roman.

Don Wray:
The Captain is doing what all those in a conspiracy do, try to blame the primary person responsible for the act. ***noise deleted*** Stop trying to let him off the hook. He aided and abetted the criminal larceny of items belonging to the state of Florida and now tries to justify his actions. It is obvious that the actor is a repeat customer of the Captain and he has no intention of offending him.

So now it's a conspiracy!?! Criminal larceny?!?! :shakehead

You telling me that that piece of junk that the hapless diver pulled out from so deep inside the wreck that probably only 1/200-300, if that, divers on her would have the skill and experience to get to, much less care about when they did, is worth >$5,000? Cause that's the legal definition of criminal larceny, you know... Though you probably don't. It's easier to just keep spouting the same old tired lines that the masses are being spoon-fed by the few with an agenda (even if that agenda is nothing more than getting some attention), than to actually put in the time to do the research and gain full understanding of the subject, not to mention actually making the dives.

Diver Dennis:
It does seem like this story is true but I highly doubt that the Capt. and Mr. Sleppy are the only ones doing it.
But that is at least some of the point. People keep doing it, at least on charted vessels, because the CAPT who shoulda ripped him a new one, and called it in, lets him get away with it. Now what do the other paying customers get from this behavior? negative reinforcement. I saw this guy do this thing last time and no one said anything, so it must be okay. Pretty soon it is just the way things are...
someone earlier made a crack about Mt Everest disappearing if one person takes a rock from the summit.
Now multiple that rock by thousands, if not TENS OF THOUSANDS of rocks disappearing. apply to the wrecks we dive, viola.

notabob:
You telling me that that piece of junk that the hapless diver pulled out from so deep inside the wreck that probably only 1/200-300, if that, divers on her would have the skill and experience to get to, much less care about when they did

So, it's ok to vandalize something if not too many people can get to it?

Just asking. :confused:

p.s. I just got to 50 posts, I'm not a Junior Member anymore. My mom would be so proud. At least this thread has accomplished something useful.

notabob:
So now it's a conspiracy!?! Criminal larceny?!?! :shakehead

You telling me that that piece of junk that the hapless diver pulled out from so deep inside the wreck that probably only 1/200-300, if that, divers on her would have the skill and experience to get to, much less care about when they did, is worth >$5,000? Cause that's the legal definition of criminal larceny, you know... Though you probably don't. It's easier to just keep spouting the same old tired lines that the masses are being spoon-fed by the few with an agenda (even if that agenda is nothing more than getting some attention), than to actually put in the time to do the research and gain full understanding of the subject, not to mention actually making the dives.
It doesn't occur to you that the piece of junk they worked very hard for, at great risk to their personal wellbeing, isn't theirs to steal? or that doesnt matter because it is junk, and only one out of every three hundred divers might see it...
or did I miss something. :huh:

Airric75:
But that is at least some of the point. People keep doing it, at least on charted vessels, because the CAPT who shoulda ripped him a new one, and called it in, lets him get away with it. Now what do the other paying customers get from this behavior? negative reinforcement. I saw this guy do this thing last time and no one said anything, so it must be okay. Pretty soon it is just the way things are...
someone earlier made a crack about Mt Everest disappearing if one person takes a rock from the summit.
Now multiple that rock by thousands, if not TENS OF THOUSANDS of rocks disappearing. apply to the wrecks we dive, viola.

Oh, I agree with you but it seems counter productive to keep bashing these two. Let's focus and move on to the main problem here. To keep on bashing two people starts to look like a personal vendetta instead of concern for the big issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom