Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Wray:
I don't know and now will probably never know...someone took them

And no harm was done to you in the process, since you have no awareness of what you aren't going to see. No harm, no foul, no wrong done.

As I have said before, I accept that it might be illegal, but I do contend that it was not wrong.

Don Wray:
I don't think after 30 years I need explain my experience in legal matters to you.

You don't. But please try to fall back on those 30yrs of of experience in legal matters into account when you make blanket statements in the future.

The Captain, after learning of the larceny, directed Mr. Sleepy to the telephone thus becoming a conspirator.

No longer criminal larceny, is it? I can see you took my words above to heart already...

I do not care if you ever dive the O, but if you decided to, would you not rather see the items in place than knowing that someone had taken them for their own satisfaction.

If I do dive it, it will be to see the ship and play on it, like one would on a jungle gym. Cause that's all it is... An 800ft underwater jungle gym. I wouldn't really care if there was one hole more or less in it...

Soggy:
Interesting...so you believe that the law defines right and wrong? That's a very easy way to live one's life...obey the law and you have done no wrong. It requires no critical moral thought at all, in fact. "Is it legal? Yup...I'm A-OK!"

In a moral court (not a legal court), illegal does not necessarily mean wrong...it's not even a consideration. It just means you've broken a rule that has been set by some governing body. Slavery, for example, used to be legal....does that mean it was right? Drinking alcohol used to be illegal. Was it morally wrong then but ok now? Abortion is legal in some states, but not others. When you cross a border does that mean it's moral status has changed? If illegal = wrong, what determines whether something should be illegal?

Right and Wrong are concepts that are unchanging and atemporal, yet laws change all the time.
Those are very good points ... and have potential for some interesting conversation over a couple of bong hits ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

notabob:
So now it's a conspiracy!?! Criminal larceny?!?! :shakehead

You telling me that that piece of junk that the hapless diver pulled out from so deep inside the wreck that probably only 1/200-300, if that, divers on her would have the skill and experience to get to, much less care about when they did, is worth >$5,000? Cause that's the legal definition of criminal larceny, you know... Though you probably don't. It's easier to just keep spouting the same old tired lines that the masses are being spoon-fed by the few with an agenda (even if that agenda is nothing more than getting some attention), than to actually put in the time to do the research and gain full understanding of the subject, not to mention actually making the dives.

No mention of $5K, try (for your home state):

Massachusetts penalties for larceny are divided into the categories of larceny over $250 in value, and larceny under $250. They can go up to :
  • 5 years in prison and a $25,000 fine if the property stolen exceed $250 in value.
  • 1 year in prison and a fine of $300 if the property stolen is less than $250 in value.

notabob:
If I do dive it, it will be to see the ship and play on it, like one would on a jungle gym. Cause that's all it is... An 800ft underwater jungle gym. I wouldn't really care if there was one hole more or less in it...

Come on down dude, I got a line on a sweet escalator that'll look great in your apartment! You'll just have to look beyond the disgusting recreational diver-vandals that scratched the paint on the superstructure with their dangling bits...

In this case they are synonymous, no different than removing items from a park for personal use. Wrong legally, wrong ethically, wrong morally, wrong!

Spectre:
Come on down dude, I got a line on a sweet escalator that'll look great in your apartment! You'll just have to look beyond the disgusting recreational diver-vandals that scratched the paint on the superstructure with their dangling bits...

Think anyone would notice the catapult coming up on a liftbag?

notabob:
You don't. But please try to fall back on those 30yrs of of experience in legal matters into account when you make blanket statements in the future.

No longer criminal larceny, is it? I can see you took my words above to heart already...

It's still criminal larceny. I do agree that when I dive it I am a visitor and should treat it as a tourist attraction. When I do go to a jungle jim, I am not gonna take the slide home with me just cause I like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom