Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see from the bottom of your post, you subscribe to the DIR concept. Do It Right.....holistic approach....

holistic adj : emphasizing the organic or functional relation between parts and the whole [ant: atomistic] Practice what you preach I've always heard. The whole would mean to me as it was.

WilDive4Food:
So the moral of this story is.... if you didn't know it was there and someone else takes it, it doesn't cost alot of money, and it doesn't physically harm another.. then sure, it's just fine and dandy. Take any and all that you need!
What a sad outlook...

The moral is, "If someone takes a flower of little worth from a field, a flower that means something to that someone, a flower that no one would miss or care about until the moment they saw it picked in that someone's hand - then is taking the flower really wrong?"

notabob:
The moral is, "If someone takes a flower of little worth from a field, a flower that means something to that someone, a flower that no one would miss or care about until the moment they saw it picked in that someone's hand - then is taking the flower really wrong?"

what is so hard to comprehend here? Taking of something that is not yours no matter if someone is watching, or notices it is gone, is wrong!

How much plainer can it be? :confused:

jonnythan:
If you change your story from a flower, which lasts for one season and reproduces, with "breaking the hand off a garden gnome in a little corner of the park," then you might have a parallel.

A picked the flower whole. Root and all. True, there will be other flowers next year. Just as there will be other wrecks tomorrow, with more useless junk on them.

And breaking the hand off a gnome would actually make the gnome look more like a real wreck than a random decoration, and thus give it character. Which is the point of diving a wreck, vs. a jungle gym.

Let me just highlight a couple parts....

Diver Dennis:
It is this office’s opinion that it is vandalism to remove or destroy part of an artificial reef like the Oriskany.
[....]
In my opinion, this is not a salvageable wreck in the open ocean, since it is an intentionally placed artificial reef intended for fisheries habitat.
[...]
I am not an attorney, nor is this a legal opinion
[...]
We are researching the legal aspects of this issue and will let you know soon about what we find out.
[...]
This is certainly not black and white.

Ok.... so basically the -owners- think it's illegal, but aren't sure; but yet the SB mob wishes to ostracise a boat captain who condoned the taking of an item that may or may not have been theft..

Gotcha. Thanks. _all_ cleared up

Perhaps someone should start a thread, "Right and Wrong, The Moral Point of View". This thread is about taking things from the Oriskany and I think it might be good to stick to that.

WilDive4Food:
what is so hard to comprehend here? Taking of something that is not yours no matter if someone is watching, or notices it is gone, is wrong!

How much plainer can it be? :confused:

You walk down an empty street at night. You see a $100 bill on the ground. It's not yours. No one has noticed it on the ground before, until now. There's no one around watching you pick it up. Are you telling me that you wouldn't pick up that $100 bill because it's not yours, and thus it's a wrong thing to do, and you'd rather just leave it there for other people to enjoy looking at it as they walk by? PLEASE!!

Spectre:
Let me just highlight a couple parts....

Ok.... so basically the -owners- think it's illegal, but aren't sure; but yet the SB mob wishes to ostracise a boat captain who condoned the taking of an item that may or may not have been theft..

Gotcha. Thanks. _all_ cleared up

So go dive with him....I won't....others can decide what they'll do....After all, he still has Rich Sleepy and others of the same mindset.

notabob:
I got my flower, and the other person is delierious with glee at the site of a gorgeous field, even without my flower there. Afterall, there're many other flowers and shrubs in the field...

Now, change this flowery scene to one of a non-renewable resorce, not flowers. There is a beautiful stone pattern laid out on the ground. You pick one of the stones up because you like it ... and so does every 10th person walking through the park ... how long does it take to notice now? The pattern, or the reef, or the artificial reef/ship ... all belong to everyone, not a select few inconsiderate, selfish people. And a boat captain has a say about what happens on his boat. Maybe it would not have been put back, but if captains refused to allow stolen items on their boats then people would have no incentive to take them, would they?

Back
Top Bottom