Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much for contacting me regarding the removal of items from Ex-Oriskany. As the Project Manager for the County, I am responsible for the Oriskany and our other artificial reefs. Oriskany was reefed as a combined effort of Escambia County Marine Resources Division, Florida Fish and Wildlife, and Navy's Inactive Ships Program Office.

It is unlawful to remove any part of Oriskany, and these activities could jeopardize the entire "Ships to Reefs" program if it appears that stakeholders cannot be trusted to comply with the Navy's regulations. I foresee Oriskany veterans complaining that "robbers" are removing parts of their old ship (I hope we don't see anything offered on EBay!!).

The quotes go both ways, this is more definitive.

Actually I would (and have) turned found money into the police. I got to claim it 90 days later.

I absolutely can't believe this! People are trying to play word games to justify someone taking an item that was not their's.

A child can be taught that taking something that is not there's is wrong... so how can it not be expressed and understood here?

I'm done with this...... could care less who get's the blame, fed up with this argument of what's right or wrong when some can't grasp the subject.

notabob:
You walk down an empty street at night. You see a $100 bill on the ground. It's not yours. No one has noticed it on the ground before, until now. There's no one around watching you pick it up. Are you telling me that you wouldn't pick up that $100 bill because it's not yours, and thus it's a wrong thing to do, and you'd rather just leave it there for other people to enjoy looking at it as they walk by? PLEASE!!

you obviously have nothing better to do than play with scenarios and words to justify the act spoke of in this thread. Try again. Use any and all analogies no matter how far fetched to justify a person removeing property that is not theirs.

Walt1957:
Now, change this flowery scene to one of a non-renewable resorce, not flowers. There is a beautiful stone pattern laid out on the ground. You pick one of the stones up because you like it ... and so does every 10th person walking through the park ... how long does it take to notice now? The pattern, or the reef, or the artificial reef/ship ... all belong to everyone, not a select few inconsiderate, selfish people. And a boat captain has a say about what happens on his boat. Maybe it would not have been put back, but if captains refused to allow stolen items on their boats then people would have no incentive to take them, would they?

Artificial reefs are a renewable resource. there're dozens of ships all around this country alone, just waiting to be sunk along with whatever random junk still left on them once EPA has had their say. And they're certainly no pattern of stones... Just big rusting hulks riddled with holes and grafiti

Thalassamania:
Actually I would (and have) turned found money into the police. I got to claim it 90 days later.

So have I. Once... The dispatcher cocked an eyebrow in disbelief, smirked, and was seen wearing a new pair of boots the next day... I don't recall the exact words that I overheard as I walked through the hall to an exit adjacent to the dispatcher's little cage, but it went something along the lines of "Score! Was that idiot for real?!?"

notabob:
Artificial reefs are a renewable resource. there're dozens of ships all around this country alone, just waiting to be sunk along with whatever random junk still left on them once EPA has had their say. And they're certainly no pattern of stones... Just big rusting hulks riddled with holes and grafiti
... assuming that they decide to go ahead and allow them to be turned into artificial reefs.

You either did not read what Mr. Turpin had to say on that subject ... namely that taking things off this ship could affect the Navy's decision to allow further sinkings ...

Originally Posted by Robert Turpin
Mr. Murray,

Thank you very much for contacting me regarding the removal of items from Ex-Oriskany. As the Project Manager for the County, I am responsible for the Oriskany and our other artificial reefs. Oriskany was reefed as a combined effort of Escambia County Marine Resources Division, Florida Fish and Wildlife, and Navy's Inactive Ships Program Office.

It is unlawful to remove any part of Oriskany, and these activities could jeopardize the entire "Ships to Reefs" program if it appears that stakeholders cannot be trusted to comply with the Navy's regulations. I foresee Oriskany veterans complaining that "robbers" are removing parts of their old ship (I hope we don't see anything offered on EBay!!).

It would be unfortunate for the Navy to reef all future ships deeper than 400 feet to deter theft. The "Reef-Ex" counterpart, called "Sink-Ex", consists of deepwater (6000 feet) sinking by military weaponry. As you can imagine, there are many Navy folks that prefer this method because the cleanup standards are less rigorous than Reef-Ex.

The Oriskany Reef is being closely watched by the Navy as the "test case" for future reefings. Until now, we have demonstrated a high degree of success. It would be a shame to kill all that success by the actions of some of the people we have tried to serve.

Please feel free to post my answer to your question on your website.

Sincerely,
Robert Turpin, Chief
Escambia County Marine Resources Division

... or perhaps you simply feel that he's wrong.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom