Report about diving expedition to Donsol (Whale-Shark)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muha

Registered
Reaction score
Dear diverse,

Two weeks ago (April 22-30) I returned from my diving vacations in Philippine and I would like to share my impression about it, may be it will be interesting and useful for some of you. The mane goals for this diving expedition ware to see Whale-Sharks and to upgrade my diving license to Advanced Open Water Diver.
1. The best place in the world to see Whale-Sharks is Donsol (Philippine), and the season is from February to May. You may fly from Manila to Legaspi (Legazpi), it takes about 50 min and than by taxi 1-1.5 hour to Woodland Resort (1km from Dolsol, everybody know this place).
2. Woodland Resort is only one hotel in Donsol, there are several other accommodations but there are quite basic. Woodland Resort has bungalow type blocks, the rooms are good, with toilet and shower (about 12 rooms with out air-condition for 18 UDS and about 12 family type with air-condition for about 30 UDS). There is a restaurant where you can by boatel-water and beer and food too. The beach in front of the resort is not very attractive but okay. In general, Woodland Resort is a good place to stay, but local cocks will wake you up at 3 AM.
3. The dive center Prosafary is located directly in Woodland Resort (www.prosafary.com) and it is only one dive shop in Donsol. These peoples are amazing! You may contact them in advance and they will arrange everything including taxi from Legaspi airport, diving, accommodation in Woodland and Whale-Shark interaction!!! This dive-shop runs by Thomas (German), instructors Jutta (German) and Gustav (Norwegian) and dive-master Omar (Philippines). Jutta was my instructor for Advanced Open Water upgrade and she is a really grate and relatable teacher. Omar is a best local diver and Whale-Shark spotter. All teem is extremely professional, disciplined and friendly. The diving boat is a traditional Philippine vessel; it is big, with sun protection roof, compressor and very well adapted for diving. It was very enjoyable to dive with these peoples!!!!
4. Whale-Sharks are grate!!!!!!!!!! It is a really big fish!!! In Donsol they are about 7-11m (max size for whale-shark is 15-18m). You may see 10-15 sharks in an hour (normal session is about 3-4 hours). But due plankton (that why they are in Donsol) water visibility is only 2-3m, so that you can’t see all fish. They are moving very fast and it is difficult to swim side-by-side (scuba diving is not aloud only snorkeling). “Whale-Shark Interaction Area” is just 200-1500m from Woodland Resort.
5. Diving was conducted in different areas. One interesting place is Manta Point (25m depth, 20m visibility). It is a “sunken island” in Ticao Pass. You may see Mantas in this location with 50:50 chance, I was lucky to see it! Also, in this area I saw Mantas jumping from water!! The other place is San Miguel Island (15-25m depth, 20-25m visibility). It is a grate place to see soft corals. I never believed that soft corals can be so beautiful and interesting; it is really “National Geographic” side!!! Also, you may see many see-snakes (1-4 in one dive) and sometimes cuttlefish. It is very sad to note, that there are not so many tropical-coral fish due dynamite fishing!!!!

In conclusion, I would like to recommend all of you to go to Donsol, dive with excellent Prosafary dive-teem and see Mantas and Whale-Sharks! I will remember this diving vacation for very long time!!!!!!

With best wishes!!
Happy diving!!!

Nice report. I have yet to go to Donsol for the Bintadan (Tagalog for whale shark) sightings because of the limitation of only snorkling. Does anyone know why this limitation is in place?

muha:
Dear diverse,

Two weeks ago (April 22-30) I returned from my diving vacations in Philippine and I would like to share my impression about it, may be it will be interesting and useful for some of you. The mane goals for this diving expedition ware to see Whale-Sharks and to upgrade my diving license to Advanced Open Water Diver.
1. The best place in the world to see Whale-Sharks is Donsol (Philippine), and the season is from February to May. You may fly from Manila to Legaspi (Legazpi), it takes about 50 min and than by taxi 1-1.5 hour to Woodland Resort (1km from Dolsol, everybody know this place).
2. Woodland Resort is only one hotel in Donsol, there are several other accommodations but there are quite basic. Woodland Resort has bungalow type blocks, the rooms are good, with toilet and shower (about 12 rooms with out air-condition for 18 UDS and about 12 family type with air-condition for about 30 UDS). There is a restaurant where you can by boatel-water and beer and food too. The beach in front of the resort is not very attractive but okay. In general, Woodland Resort is a good place to stay, but local cocks will wake you up at 3 AM.
3. The dive center Prosafary is located directly in Woodland Resort (www.prosafary.com) and it is only one dive shop in Donsol. These peoples are amazing! You may contact them in advance and they will arrange everything including taxi from Legaspi airport, diving, accommodation in Woodland and Whale-Shark interaction!!! This dive-shop runs by Thomas (German), instructors Jutta (German) and Gustav (Norwegian) and dive-master Omar (Philippines). Jutta was my instructor for Advanced Open Water upgrade and she is a really grate and relatable teacher. Omar is a best local diver and Whale-Shark spotter. All teem is extremely professional, disciplined and friendly. The diving boat is a traditional Philippine vessel; it is big, with sun protection roof, compressor and very well adapted for diving. It was very enjoyable to dive with these peoples!!!!
4. Whale-Sharks are grate!!!!!!!!!! It is a really big fish!!! In Donsol they are about 7-11m (max size for whale-shark is 15-18m). You may see 10-15 sharks in an hour (normal session is about 3-4 hours). But due plankton (that why they are in Donsol) water visibility is only 2-3m, so that you can’t see all fish. They are moving very fast and it is difficult to swim side-by-side (scuba diving is not aloud only snorkeling). “Whale-Shark Interaction Area” is just 200-1500m from Woodland Resort.
5. Diving was conducted in different areas. One interesting place is Manta Point (25m depth, 20m visibility). It is a “sunken island” in Ticao Pass. You may see Mantas in this location with 50:50 chance, I was lucky to see it! Also, in this area I saw Mantas jumping from water!! The other place is San Miguel Island (15-25m depth, 20-25m visibility). It is a grate place to see soft corals. I never believed that soft corals can be so beautiful and interesting; it is really “National Geographic” side!!! Also, you may see many see-snakes (1-4 in one dive) and sometimes cuttlefish. It is very sad to note, that there are not so many tropical-coral fish due dynamite fishing!!!!

In conclusion, I would like to recommend all of you to go to Donsol, dive with excellent Prosafary dive-teem and see Mantas and Whale-Sharks! I will remember this diving vacation for very long time!!!!!!

With best wishes!!
Happy diving!!!

It's Butanding in Tagalog I believe. I was there at the Butanding Festival too, esp on the last day when Defensor was there and all the hoopla.
I agree the whaleshark sightings are good but hardly the best in the world. You have to snorkel with them out pass the shoreline where the viz is better but the sharks tend to be a lot shier.
I've been to Seychelles off Aldabra and Djibouti where you can see whalesharks in super visibility and congregations of up to 15 of the bigger 10m+ ones, unlike the smaller 6-9 m range in Donsol.
As for Ticao pass, the mantas are ok but there is a nicer site in Batangas where there's a resident population of about 20 mantas.
Woodland resort is about the worst resort I've stayed in PI for the price. 800 pesos for fan/1500 for a/c. Rooms are more than spartan and the showers are pipes and cold water only. I've paid less for hot water/ac in Anilao, Boracay, Cebu and Malapascua. Better to head to Sorsogon and find a nicer place there for diving.
I don't think much of Donsol as a venue, but I do support the industry's effort to protect the whalesharks. It is very well organized but a bit boring for a serious diver. It's great for holiday makers who just want to snorkel with the gentle creatures.
As a diver, I prefer serendipitously bumping into a whaleshark while on a dive. Anyhow, I prefer being on scuba seeing most anything underwater but that's just me.

In February 2005 I was in donsol and my hotel was in Sorsogon. The whalesharks were amazing and I will go back. I don't care whether i am wearing scuba gear or not to see them. Anyway, with the viz. being as poor as it is there's not much point in diving. The government boat crew were very talented at spotting the whalesharks. Next time I will have to bring a wide angle lens to get better pics. I only got pics of its head given my proximity. I went to Malapascua as well and I would never return. I saw more dead fish lying at the bottom of the sea than live fish that were ripped apart by dynamite fishing. A bit unerving to hear the dynamite blasts too!

Dear divers,

Correction!!!!!!!!

Wrong:
The dive center Prosafary is located directly in Woodland Resort (www.prosafary.com) and it is only one dive shop in Donsol.

Right:
The dive center Prosafari is located directly in Woodland Resort (www.prosafari.com) and it is only one dive shop in Donsol.

Sorry for the mistack!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom