Request: Grand Cayman recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem I find with Marco's post is he is giving somewhat erroneous info for the reason of being a shill for Red Sail or just not knowledgeable either way someone making their first trip to Cayman and listening to his advice would not know this which could cause a not so pleasant experience.

Grand Cayman is my favorite place to vacation and you've gotten some good advice. Let me add my two cents.

Grand Cayman is not cheap. For that reason we do most of our own cooking. If you want the best of both worlds, a great diving vacation and a nice condo and probably the sweetest spot on Seven Mile Beach I like Villas of the Galleon.

I uploaded a video of the beach behind Villas of the Galleon so you can see what I mean.

Nice beach, but my personal preference is further north at Anchorage or Christopher Columbus condo where it is quieter.

It's pretty quiet when I go in the summer time because Villas of the Galleon isn't booked up. However, a few hundred feet in either direction can be a lot of people staying at the Westin or the Ritz Carlton. I shot this about 10:30 a.m. and you can see there's just not a lot of people there, period. I checked out the Christopher Columbus and Anchorage pics on Google Image and both look like wonderful places. Thanks for mentioning them. I am going to Grand Cayman in a few weeks and I'll be sure to check them out. Seems remarkably cheaper than Villas and just as nice!

We are researching a June 2018 trip to the Caymans.

We will be staying on Grand Cayman (Since it's our first trip, I didn't want to waste time with layovers before getting to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac - we'll just have to come back another time to dive them)

I'm leaning towards staying at TNI -thanks to those who have mentioned it in other posts- not locked in yet so still open to suggestions.

We'll probably do 4-5 2 tank dives and shore dive the rest of the days.

Recommendations for Dive Ops for the boat dives and/or air for shore dives?

Dive sites that "can't be missed"?

Books? Maps? Guides?

Restaurants, things to do etc..?

ANY input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Cayman University Divers is a small operation and takes only 6 divers. Really laid back experienced owner and staff, feels like diving on a buddy's boat. Ambassador Divers has a really nice big boat and they take only 12 divers..lots of space to spread out. I have used and recommend both. The Macabuca shore dive is a great experience for night or day. Entry is right off the end of an outdoor bar which is kind of cool. There is a large covered gear up area. If you don't dive there it is a great spot to have a meal or drink and watch the divers. Dive sites that stuck out for me were Princess Penny's pinnacles, Ghost Mountain, Trinity Caves and Doc Poulson. Nice casual places to eat are the Sunshine Grill and Cimboco. For non diving days or non divers Ambassador divers does an afternoon Stingray City visit and 2 snorkel stops to the barrier reef and coral gardens. Quite fun. My non diving wife loved it. Lots of critters.

Favorite dives in Grand Cayman:
Trinity Caves (West wall.)
Shore dive at the Cracked Conch. Swim out and go down the wall and go left and see the tarpon.
Eagle Ray Rock (Dove with Lobster Pot Dive Center for this and it was good)
Anywhere on the North Wall if the weather and currents are cooperating. Enjoyed Eagle Ray Pass. Saw lots of eagle rays.
Babylon (East side, dove with Ocean Frontiers, stellar operation)
The long mini wall at Light House Point Condos.
Had my first experience using a scooter behind Cobalt Coast. Actually went all the way to the main wall. Very nice. Second time I went using a scooter the currents were very strong and I wish they didn't let us go out there. Made it to the wall but it took a long time to get back fighting the current. Local dive op Dive Tech sent a rescue swimmer to help us which was greatly appreciated but not needed. However, they did help an older couple struggling to get in. Would dive with DiveTech anytime.

Local dive op Dive Tech sent a rescue swimmer to help us which was greatly appreciated but not needed. However, they did help an older couple struggling to get in. Would dive with DiveTech anytime.

Thanks!
Strong currents are quite uncommon here. However at our Lighthouse Point shore dive site we always have a fully charged rescue scooter standing by so our staff can quickly render assistance if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom