Required knots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey, sounds like fun. Sounds like my knot group in Alaska!

Why is it that knots and beer go together? Our group meets at a bar, too. :)

Grog's Scouting Knots Index

There ya go, yutz boy. :D Every knot you need to know--step by step and nicely animated. If a Boy Scout can learn it, you can, too.

Thanks for showing the link for a good website for knotting.:wink:

As with Nelos federation as Idea you do not learn them.
In the IDC you have to learn these 3 knots.

N² - O² diver;4523812:
Thanks for showing the link for a good website for knotting.:wink:

As with Nelos federation as Idea you do not learn them.
In the IDC you have to learn these 3 knots.

Sorry, but you DO NOT learn knots in the IDC.

so the story Jim told about a candidate being asked to tie a bowline to a liftbag would be an example of one of the 5 skill demos or one of the 3 presentations to simulated students?

It is an open water evaluation, and knots are allowed to be taught as part of your briefing and demonstrated underwater

I was not taught knots in my Search and Recovery, nor my DM nor my IDC.
I went to the IE and my partner was given the bowline to "teach". My CD had given me the AOW/S&R sheet showing how to tie the three knots and I practiced them. When underwater I was given the task of tying the bowline perfectly which I did but my "instructor" said No do it again and everytime I started he would stop me. I got so frustrated that I just looked at him and shrugged. The examiner then wrote on a slate "Can you tie the knot?"...I shook my head yes and he signed the "instructor" to go on. When we got out of the water I had no idea as to what happened and we got into a long discussion about what he considered a bowline and what I considered a bowline. Despite what many think there are two ways to tie it. I used PADI S&R way and he used a boy scout way. To this day he still swears I didn't tie it properly and I swear I did. I had to demonstrate it to the examiner and we discussed the two different methods and he passed me.
SO....long story short...learn them so you can do it with your eyes closed and you will not get them on your IE. Also, get with your partners and REALLY discuss what your assignments are and ensure that each of you is comfortable.

I was not taught knots in my Search and Recovery, nor my DM nor my IDC.
I went to the IE and my partner was given the bowline to "teach". My CD had given me the AOW/S&R sheet showing how to tie the three knots and I practiced them. When underwater I was given the task of tying the bowline perfectly which I did but my "instructor" said No do it again and everytime I started he would stop me. I got so frustrated that I just looked at him and shrugged. The examiner then wrote on a slate "Can you tie the knot?"...I shook my head yes and he signed the "instructor" to go on. When we got out of the water I had no idea as to what happened and we got into a long discussion about what he considered a bowline and what I considered a bowline. Despite what many think there are two ways to tie it. I used PADI S&R way and he used a boy scout way. To this day he still swears I didn't tie it properly and I swear I did. I had to demonstrate it to the examiner and we discussed the two different methods and he passed me.
SO....long story short...learn them so you can do it with your eyes closed and you will not get them on your IE. Also, get with your partners and REALLY discuss what your assignments are and ensure that each of you is comfortable.

OK. I bite. Being a former Scout and Scoumaster, I know and can teach at least two methods for tieing a bowline (one and two handed), but they're both the same knot. Can you explain or show "your" bowline?

Posted via Mobile Device

OK. I bite. Being a former Scout and Scoumaster, I know and can teach at least two methods for tieing a bowline (one and two handed), but they're both the same knot. Can you explain or show "your" bowline?

Posted via Mobile Device

Here is a picture of the bowline from the PADI Training Bulletin. This is what I tied.
My buddy learned to tie it from a scoutmaster who taught him to tie it without a loop and as you tighten the knot you pull the loop out to form a loop the size that you want. That is all I know. When we got up and talked about it he showed me the way he did it and there is no loop in it and you have to pull it out. I tied it according to the TB and it has a loop in it already. Like I said, he swears I didn't and I swear I did.
The mistakes made as far as the IE was that we did not go over what we were doing because he said "I have the bowline" and I said I can tie it. Miscommunication but I still feel that we tied the same knot but it just looked different while doing it.
We will both go to our graves with our opinions.

Nothing to bite...

Attachments

• Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 75
Here is a picture of the bowline from the PADI Training Bulletin. This is what I tied.
My buddy learned to tie it from a scoutmaster who taught him to tie it without a loop and as you tighten the knot you pull the loop out to form a loop the size that you want. That is all I know. When we got up and talked about it he showed me the way he did it and there is no loop in it and you have to pull it out. I tied it according to the TB and it has a loop in it already. Like I said, he swears I didn't and I swear I did.
The mistakes made as far as the IE was that we did not go over what we were doing because he said "I have the bowline" and I said I can tie it. Miscommunication but I still feel that we tied the same knot but it just looked different while doing it.
We will both go to our graves with our opinions.

Nothing to bite...

My mother was a Girl Guide Leader. They used the Boy Scout manuals for things like knots and survival information. The picture you show from the PADI Training Bulletin is the way she taught me to tie a bowline. Unless the Boy Scouts have changed the definition of a bowline in the past 35 years, I think you did it correctly by anyone's standards.

I think I did also, however in the IE, you are geared to find problems. My task was to tie it perfectly and I because I tied it using a different method or style than he was expecting, he automatically said do it over. He then kept stopping me while he was "teaching" which is correct. I showed him how I did it when we got up and he was like me, confused as to HOW but we were both sure we got to the same point. Trouble was, underwater in front of the IE examiner....
I can tie a bowline now, in my sleep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom