Requirements for diving (logs, cards, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an incurable medical condition known as being a cynical a*hole. It makes me believe that the only reason that guy didn't answer "yes" to the COPD question on the release form, is because the form didn't have one.

Previous version asked:
"History of asthma, chronic bronchitis or other lung disease?" (New version specifically states COPD)
"Any other medical conditions that we should be aware of (surgery in the last 6 – 12 months, pregnant, previous decompression sickness, epilepsy, seizures, problems equalizing, etc.)?"

AND then in another spot on the form:

Please read and initial the statements below:
_____ I have no known medical conditions that should preclude me from diving unless stated above.

So he answered NO to the lung disease question and initialed that he had no known medical conditions

I have an incurable medical condition known as being a cynical a*hole. It makes me believe that the only reason that guy didn't answer "yes" to the COPD question on the release form, is because the form didn't have one.

That is ridiculous. If the guy's doctor told him not to dive because it would kill him, but he dove despite knowing that, and his entire dive group was aware of his condition, the diver and his entourage are guilty of gross stupidity. Even if there was no question on the release form, anyone with a passing knowledge of COPD, especially with the doctor's warning, would know diving with that disease would be like playing Russian Roulette with a Glock. In that case, the diver had a terminal case of dumbass, and his cohorts will have to live with their decision the rest of their lives.

That is ridiculous. If the guy's doctor told him not to dive because it would kill him, but he dove despite knowing that, and his entire dive group was aware of his condition, the diver and his entourage are guilty of gross stupidity. Even if there was no question on the release form, anyone with a passing knowledge of COPD, especially with the doctor's warning, would know diving with that disease would be like playing Russian Roulette with a Glock. In that case, the diver had a terminal case of dumbass, and his cohorts will have to live with their decision the rest of their lives.

Or..., he dies doing what he loves, on his own terms, and it's not considered suicide.

Or..., he dies doing what he loves, on his own terms, and it's not considered suicide.

Well, then he also had a terminal case of A-Holeism for putting the dive crew, dive op, and other divers through that kind of emotional trauma. Narcissist is too kind of a description for that kind of behavior and disregard for the impact of one's actions on other people. If he wanted to die doing his own thing, he should have rented a bunch of tanks and done as many solo shore dives as possible--the end result would have been the same without involving other people.

Last edited:
Well, then he also had a terminal case of A-Holeism for putting the dive crew, dive op, and other divers through that kind of emotional trauma. Narcissist is too kind of a description for that kind of behavior and disregard for the impact of one's actions on other people. If he wanted to die doing his own thing, he should have rented a bunch of tanks and done as many solo shore dives as possible--the end result would have been the same without involving other people.

And then he would have been an a-hole to the coast guard, first responders, divers that happened upon him. Why not look at the idea of dying doing what he loved?

To their credit, he did not share this information with them prior to the trip - they actually found out the morning he died in the elevator on their way down from breakfast :(

Altamira:
If he wanted to die doing his own thing, he should have rented a bunch of tanks and done as many solo shore dives as possible--the end result would have been the same without involving other people.

EXACTLY

Snoweman:
And then he would have been an a-hole to the coast guard, first responders, divers that happened upon him.

The difference is that is their JOB and they are not on vacation or going to work doing their best to keep everyone safe.

Last edited:
I modified & added a few specific medical questions to my release after a fatality we had 2 years ago. The diver had been diagnosed with severe COPD and was told by his physician that diving would kill him. His entire dive group knew this. Day 3, 1st dive of the day - he died upon surfacing from embolism in his lung as a direct result of his medical condition. He did not disclose this to us, his dive group did not disclose it to us and he was 100% dishonest on his release. Had I known that he was suffering from COPD - I most absolutely would have denied service to him - that one is an absolute NO to diving.

I now understand your position much better. I am seriously distressed that someone would be so selfish. Personally, if my Dr. gave me any reason to be doubtful that I could dive safely I would resume snorkeling and sell/donate my equipment.

To their credit, he did not share this information with them prior to the trip - they actually found out the morning he died in the elevator on their way down from breakfast :(

Then they should have refused to continue to dive with him and alerted the dive op. They are as much at fault as the &%$#@ that died.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom