Rescue ascension

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said to begin with, there are no cut and dried answers. Every situation is going to have to be quickly and accurately assessed by the functional diver, the risk-benefit ratio for victim and rescuer evaluated, and a proper course of action chosen.
A very sound approach. In my world, tho - I'd just do my best, with more reaction than thought. Its really good to talk these out here, and hope to have better what-if plans ready.

Thanks for all the input, this was my first question posted, being new to the board and the response was outstanding. Though there were slight differences of recommendations all seemed to focus on balancing personal safety while doing ones best to get assistance for the downed diver. A lot of good information, and I feel I could now make a more informed decision. I enjoyed the bantering among yourselves and I pray I'll never need any of the information you folks shared, but, Thanks again. I will take advantage of this resource again.

Sorry to rehash guys but just a couple things. I have been a lifeguard/instructor for 17 years and have seen my share of drownings and have researched drowning exhaustively over that period. Here are the current findings: Most water that is aspirated during a drowning episode is done so during active respiration, the person is actively inhaling the water. The laryngeal spasm does keep the water out and is believed to last about two minutes after the person loses consciousness. Once the vocal cords relax, water doesn't just rush in but rather the victim makes several involuntary gasps and this allows the water to enter the lungs. This is referred to as a wet drowning and occurs in about 90% of drownings. Dry drownings that occur about 10% of the time result in a prolonged laryngeal spasm and this does not allow water to enter the lungs. What is really interesting is that even in wet drownings where water has entered the lungs, reasearch has shown that the water is absorbed by tissues and into circulation. Upon investigation only a small amount of water is ever found to be in the lungs, generally speaking.
So the urgency is to surface the victim quickly with the safety of those involved in the rescue at the forefront. The primary goal once out of the water is to attempt oxygenation, not attempts at removing water from the lungs.
Sorry, I realize this probably goes further than the intention of the thread but maybe the info can be used at some point.

Thanks Freediver, that helps a lot. :thumb:

freediver:
The laryngeal spasm does keep the water out and is believed to last about two minutes after the person loses consciousness. Once the vocal cords relax, water doesn't just rush in but rather the victim makes several involuntary gasps and this allows the water to enter the lungs.

If you were bringing the victim to the surface while holding his reg in his mouth, once the involuntary gasps started as long as the reg was securlely held in place wouldn't this minimize if not eliminate the amount of water that entered the lungs?

Kangy:
If you were bringing the victim to the surface while holding his reg in his mouth, once the involuntary gasps started as long as the reg was securlely held in place wouldn't this minimize if not eliminate the amount of water that entered the lungs?
Good question. Of course there is no research to point in either direction but in theory, it would make sense. Just remember two things, the rescuer doesn't want to utilize precious time trying to place a reg in the mouth if it becomes a struggle to do so and, secondly, any air in the lungs will expand on ascent assisting in keeping the water out of the lungs.

Kangy:
Ok, if you did that - with a purged reg, and the multi-tasking didn't overload you so much as to produce challenges to maintaining control of all factors, good.

I think the best bet in reviving a dead diver is going to be the rescue breathing - which can only be done on the surface, and Cpr - which can effectively only be done on the boat or shore, so those are the prime objectives for me.

TSandM:
PADI is still teaching 60 fpm in their written materials, although the instructors do say that that has been modified.

Completed my PADI OW in 3/2006 and was taught the 60 FPM. Recently went diving with a NAUI instructor who told me I was lying when I mentioned the PADI 60 FPM. I came back to reread my book and it does indeed say 60 FPM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom