Rescue course assisting - beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superform:
yeah he well and truely learned what he did wrong... :)

* Cut to slow pan of diving pool
* A [Partially Inflated BCD] floats into view from right. Straps appear tattered.
* Fade to black.
* Roll end credits.

all depends on the instructor and the students....

When I played the victim in my rescue-class, I closed the valve on my (single) tank and slipped beneath the surface just before the rescuer came up to me...I almost laughed at the look on his face when he pushed my inflator button and nothing happend...it took a while before he used his own bc to get us both to the surface...

grazie42:
When I played the victim in my rescue-class, I closed the valve on my (single) tank and slipped beneath the surface just before the rescuer came up to me...I almost laughed at the look on his face when he pushed my inflator button and nothing happend...it took a while before he used his own bc to get us both to the surface...

You are an evil, evil man!

:)

Scuba-Jay:
I guess there are a couple different schools of thought regarding this? I am a brand new DM so I am by no means an expert, but I was under the impression that this kind of training was no longer conducted? Not to say that it shouldn't be (I was trained via this method as an OW and it's come in handy during real life scenarios where my mask was finned off my face ect) but my DM instructor claimed that PADI no longer promotes the forceful / sudden removal of gear during training scenarios.

Jay

My rescue instructor tried to knock off regs and masks during pool training. When we did out open water dives he told us we might encounter "panic" but that he wouldn't attempt to knock off masks or regs. I think that's a good policy, although it's always good to be prepared to have your mask or reg knocked out. It could happen from a stray kick even in a recreational environment. I feel pretty confident I could handle it and wouldn't panic if it happened for real. I can't say the same for everyone I've dove with.

The rescue-er can get hurt, too. During my Rescue class, I threw my back out (herniated two disks) for six months hauling my buddy out of the water.

Rick Inman:
The rescue-er can get hurt, too. During my Rescue class, I threw my back out (herniated two disks) for six months hauling my buddy out of the water.
you should have pulled out their underarm hair just because you could!

how big was the buddy Rick??

for fun i notice most classes down here get the bigget guy they can find to be hauled out of the water but you dont want anyone getting hurt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom