• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Rescue Diver and Red Cross Cert (Cross posted in Basic Scuba)

Discussion in 'Q and A for Scuba Certification Agencies' started by ljwillia, May 24, 2018.

1. ljwillia

ljwillia Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Hello All- Sorry for the cross posting. Wasn't sure which community to post in.

My husband and I are scheduled for RD in July. I'm trying to find a class to satisfy the EFR primary and secondary requirements. Our local Red Cross offers the following:

"The Adult First Aid/CPR/AED course incorporates the latest science and teaches students to recognize and care for a variety of first aid emergencies such as burns, cuts, scrapes, sudden illnesses, head, neck, back injuries, heat and cold emergencies and how to respond to breathing and cardiac emergencies for victims about 12 years and older. Successful students will receive a certificate for Adult First Aid/CPR/AED valid for two years."

Will this satisfy the pre-req? PADI has a class for $150pp. The Red Cross class is $93pp.

I thought I remembered a thread discussing this some time back but I couldn't find.

Thanks all for your input!

2. richmonddiver

richmonddiver Nassau Grouper

I took that Red Cross class before my rescue diver course last August. It satisfied PADI'a requirements. You can always double check with PADI or your instructor

3. ljwillia

ljwillia Nassau Grouper

Thanks @richmonddiver. We're in Richmond also. Which dive shop did you use? Our class is being taught through The Dive Shop on Broad.

4. richmonddiver

richmonddiver Nassau Grouper

5. ljwillia

ljwillia Nassau Grouper

That's great! I work for VCU. Thanks for your input!

6. shurite7

shurite7 Dive Shop

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    [QUOTE="lWill this satisfy the pre-req? PADI has a class for $150pp. The Red Cross class is $93pp.
    Thanks all for your input![/QUOTE]

Yes, the Red Cross class will meet PADI and NAUI's pre-req. I recommend taking a class in O2 Administration. If you can, find an instructor who will combine CPR/AED/FA & O2. Some instructors offer it through DAN.

Good luck.

ljwillia likes this.