Rescue Diver!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tentacle13

Reaction score
I am attending my NAUI Rescue Diver Class at the end of the Month. YES!!!! Does anyone have any tips or advice on physical fitness? How about the fins used. I Have apollo Bio fins and I wouldn't want to change. I would also like to here other peoples' experiences, the exhaustion, the adrenalin, the sheer pain.

:viking:

Well, if you're not in shape now, chances are you won't be able to get in shape by the end of the month. But assuming a reasonable level of fitness to start with, I would recommend getting in as much swimming time as you can. I took the PADI RD course, but can't imagine PADI and NAUI are too much different.

You'll be doing a lot of swimming and towing and rescue breathing and carrying bodies out of the water. Anything you can do to strengthen you legs and back (knee bends, lunges, situps) will give you an advantage.

Best of luck. It's a great course; you'll enjoy it.

Originally posted by tentacle13
I am attending my NAUI Rescue Diver Class at the end of the Month. YES!!!! Does anyone have any tips or advice on physical fitness? How about the fins used. I Have apollo Bio fins and I wouldn't want to change. I would also like to here other peoples' experiences, the exhaustion, the adrenalin, the sheer pain.

First - don't change your equipment! (unless of course you do switch back and forth from different "parts") You will want your equipment to be second nature to you, as you will have to deal with yours, and the unknown equipment of your victim/patient.

Second - Be prepared to think outside the box. There is always more than one way to solve a problem - just some better than others.

Third - you will likely have one of the best experiences you can imagine. Sure a lot of work (and you will be tired after the all the exercises.

As it is unlikely you'll be allowed to shout to your shore support to go and "call 911 we have a diving accident" (for some reason this can actually send people in a panic mode if they don't know it's a class - go figure hehehe), so your instructor may have you shouting something more amusing. We kept ordering pizza :D - can you imagine it? Towing in your victim, shouting to the shore "order a pizza, extra topping, we have someone in need...." We got quite inventive.

Start now and workout regularly, you're going to need it. Running, walking, tread mill...what ever it takes to build up your stamina. Rescue had to be one of the most physically demanding and rewarding courses I've ever taken. Good luck and remember to have fun.

I agree with the others. Physically it is a demanding course. Keep your gear the same as you usually use. Doing rescue breathing(even simulated) while towing someone is a real workout. Do all the surface towing and swimming you can do between now and then.

We had an agreed upon signal that told those in our group that things had changed from a practice mode to a real live situation. We also made other people in the nearby area aware of the fact that we were conducting a training session so as not to create a false alarm.

Have fun!!

I am in reasonable shape, I hope all goes well. Safety equals Fun! It is the next phase to becoming a DM.

The Thank you!!! list
DivingGal
Texas-Tek diver
Cheezwhiz
JBD

You will absolutely need your legs in shape for towing. Don't hold back, when you see your instructor do something that's not normal ............ check it out! I was in a rescue class with three other divers and two of them totally sucked. You will be a much better diver after the class. Oh we yelled Pizza also.

One tip from me here - I was fine for the fitness side - not that I'm super fit or anything but I'm not unfit. I'm not saying it was easy - just that it wasn't ever a question of could I make it or not.

The problem I had was that during the tow and rescue breathe I developed cramps in both thighs. This was probably not helped by the cold water, but I think I had been stupid about not getting enough water in. My advice, as before any dive but particularly here where you're going to exert yourself, would be to make sure you've had enough water and maybe eat a banana or two before you start to avoid the cramps. Try towing with both legs cramping - that's a challenge.

Originally posted by DivingGal
so your instructor may have you shouting something more amusing. We kept ordering pizza :D - can you imagine it? Towing in your victim, shouting to the shore "order a pizza, extra topping, we have someone in need...." We got quite inventive.
We just kept announcing to all that we were naked!

got a few more grins than the usual "cheeseburger"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom