Restaurant Finds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another 3 classic Mexican options would be El Moro , Casa Mission and La Choza. They each have survived a few decades on the island so they must be doing something right. Casa Mission has the best ambience (in the courtyard of a large home ), but I think it is open to debate which has the best food.

If you want more of a nice taco place Tzlam is new and good (you can see menus in my post in this thread )
Three more of my faves!

Does La Conchita Del Caribe still serve a garlic whole fish entree? I think this might have been our best meal over 15 years ago when I got certified. I can't believe they're still there on 65 Ave.

Wow, thanks for posting this -- I'd feel kinda silly paying $70 RT cab fare to take the fam from Iberostar to eat here. Maybe i should rent a car and make it a day and head to the other side for sightseeing and early dinner at La Cochinita. (My husband won't eat pulpo anymore after interacting with them in the water and then my daughter saw how cute and friendly the squid were and now our marine life dining options are taking a serious hit.....)

A note about both Casa Mission and La Mission.

Casa Mission was always our favorite place. We would typically go there on the last night of our trip and it was a great way to end the trip on a high note. The ambience was the best on the island, service was great, steak & lobster was great, all good. It's changed a lot in the last few years and now feels like a tourist trap to me. Last few times we've been there the service was mediocre at best, the food was average, the prices were high, and they play the stupid exchange rate game with the menu prices in dollars then they charge you in pesos at an inflated exchange rate. They also seem to cater to large groups more than individual diners so if you're a party of 2-4 that just walks in the door good luck getting served quickly. I have no patience for the cruise ship passenger tourist trap BS so we probably won't be back.

La Mission on the other hand- it's been around for years and for some reason we had never tried it. My wife and I wandered in there one day on our most recent trip in November and had a really great meal and overall experience. Prices were fair, no games, and best of all they offer a discount for divers when you show your C card. I think it was 15% the day we were there.

La Mission on the other hand- it's been around for years and for some reason we had never tried it. My wife and I wandered in there one day on our most recent trip in November and had a really great meal and overall experience. Prices were fair, no games, and best of all they offer a discount for divers when you show your C card. I think it was 15% the day we were there.
I agree that La Mission is a solid choice. They get labeled as touristy, but their food has been consistently good for as long as I've been going there (believe we went there in '97, I'm sure we went in 2010 and every trip since). The diver discount is great (sometimes they only want to see 1 C-card, sometimes they want to see everyone's C-card), and their lunch specials are especially good (even before the discount) -- we always like to have at least a couple of our after-dive lunches there, and there's something for everyone on their dinner menu also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom