Restore my confidence in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The President of Mexico dives in Cozumel. Think he and his family would be there if it was dangerous?

I think that recently he has been the dive op at Iberostar and with Aldora.

I have always loved diving Coz and felt that it had a special place in the diving world. I always thought that almost with few exceptions that all the dive ops were excellent, that the DM's were superb, the captains were superb and the environmetn safe however the events of late have me really rattled. Here I refer obviously to the Scuba Mau incedent. I am not referring to the specific divers (even though one wasthe owner of the dive op) and certainly not the downwellings (which although the need to be taken seriously, were CLEARLY not the cause of this misadventure. What I am referring to is some of the stuff that seems to be coming out (granted some of it in heresay) about DM's offering deep dives to customers off the clocks and of dive ops without insurance and of diveops inadequately equipped for emergencies both with equipment (enough oxygen) and with contingency plans (no recall plans etc). And of boat captains maybe not bieng as attentive as they should be...Please tell me that I am just bieng emotional at this time and that this is not the case... I realize this is all coming out of one incedent but this is a dive op that has always been considred to be in the top 5 dive ops??

Chris
don't know ya and ain't got no beef with ya but seriously dude you state you've been to coz and have complimentary things to say about the dive ops. You should've been asking these questions every time you dive with a new op:
what are your emergency procedures
what are your emergency supplies
do you carry o2 and how much
etc.

if they offer to take you to 300feet on air, politely decline, run back home and tell us all about it. it's bad enuff folks that have never been to coz are spooked but return customers?

Posted by TERRLKAY:
If they offer to take you to 300feet on air, politely decline, run back home.

More like Run for your life. :shocked2:

If one takes the time to ask the DM or the Captain:

what are your emergency procedures
what are your emergency supplies
do you carry o2 and how much

They are very glad to show. Trust me I know, I have done it. This is not for just when diving with a different dive op, it should be asked anytime you are on a different boat.

A few other things I have been known to ask:

What is the signal for an emergency recall?
Where are the life preservers?
What channel on the radio is used for emergency calls?

And one of my favorites

How do you operate the head?

I promise if you ask these questions the dive brief will be much better for all concerned. If there is no desire to answer these questions then it is time to get off the boat and ask for a refund.

With all those drug cartels, I would not go to Mexico. Or dive to 300ft on a pony.
:wink:

Truly, riding a moped is the most dangerous activity you could do in Cozumel. No joke there.

How fast can you run carrying a big tortoise?

If you wear black socks and sandals you can run faster!

If you wear black socks and sandals you can run faster!

I have been trying that since I turned 55 I does cause my daughter great dismay, but I don't think it makes me run faster, unless you wear a fanny pack. The it makes you run faster.:D

Add an "I'm with Stupid" tshirt and you'll FLY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom