Retention cysts in maxillary sinus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the tattoo and had wondered what it was for a very long time between dentists. It's REAL easy to see, its on the bottom left between the 2nd molar from the wisdom tooth (still have 4!) and the tooth in front of the 2nd molar. I have a HUGE filling in that molar as well as one in the (bicuspid? Don't know my teeth!). The molar's filling goes down between the 2 teeth and the blue spot is nearly centered between the teeth on the gum. I've never had a filling removed, this was done when he put the thing in.

The first time I went to see Dr. Rhodes he asked if I had any concerns and I mentioned the blue spot. This was after the x-ray but before the exam. He looked at it and said, "It's one of 2 things, it could be an amalgam tattoo in which case it's no big deal. Or, you need to be making your final preparations because it's the final stage in a terminal problem." Then he did a panoramic x-ray and you could see the amalgam shining brightly, even I could pick it out.

That's the story! Gotta love an honest dentist!
Ber :bunny:

Ber Rabbit,

If you had a really big filling placed years ago, it is possible that some of the original amalgam was worked into the gum while it was being carved. It would stay there and create the blue spot.

Most amalgam tatoos occur during the removal of an old amalgam. The high speed drill slings filling fragments out hard enough to penetrate the gum and then they corrode and leave the spot. Usually these particles are so fine that you don't see them on x-ray. Sometimes, however a really large chunk can be driven into the gum and that can be seen.

We use a lot of water when cutting to reduce the tooth temperature due to friction. It has an added benefit of deflecting the fine fragments of silver. Usually, but not always, copious water spray will prevent the tatoo. Unfortunately, there are times when we must turn off the spray just to see what we are doing.

If you can actually see a chunk of amalgam under the gum on x-ray and no fillling was ever replaced, then it got there during either the carving process following insertion--deep under the gum OR you may have had an "overhang" on that silver filling and the hygienist broke the excess piece loose but it didn't come out--creating the tatoo.

Other ways to get amalgam tatoos are a filled tooth that broke during extraction and some broken filling fell into the socket. Having a root canal surgical procedure called an apicoectomy and a retrograde amalgam can also leave a spot on the gum at the postion of the root tip that was worked on.

AND REASON #1 FOR AMALGAM TATOOS ARE....GOING TO A DENTIST THAT WORKS OUT OF HIS GARAGE...AN INCREASINGLY COMMON PROBLEM IN THE MIAMI AREA!

Rumor has it that your tatoo is in the shape of a little rabbit...

Now, about the piercing rumor...

Regards,

Larry Stein

That's why that building the dentist worked in was so small! A garage! He shoved the amalgam in there when putting the filling in (evidently) the filling does go all the way to the gum line. Never had any of the other options done.

A bunny huh? Maybe!:wink:
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom