retractor for camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi, i've been diving about a year and a half now (LOVE it by the way) and i have a 35mm "point&shoot" underwater camera and thus far have just secured it on my arm with the lanyard it came with. but i'm thinking it would be easier to have it on a retractor somewhere on my chest/stomach area. any recommendations for a certain retractor?? thanks for any tips.

Wouldn't a retractor be hard to maintain camera position if you have tension pulling on it? I can see it for a console where you want to glance and tuck it away.

I dive with a point & shoot digital with a single strobe. I keep them secured with a snap buckle type coil lanyard by Cetacea. Unclip and have reasonable freedom of movement without losing the camera if I drop it. Clip it back on to stow it when not in use and you need your hands free. Checkout ScubaToys. Larry gave me a decent deal. Just a thought.

thanks so much! those look great! will be diving Stetson Bank in the gulf of mex. on july 17, so i have time to get one shipped. thanks for the great tip.
mack50md:
Wouldn't a retractor be hard to maintain camera position if you have tension pulling on it? I can see it for a console where you want to glance and tuck it away.

I dive with a point & shoot digital with a single strobe. I keep them secured with a snap buckle type coil lanyard by Cetacea. Unclip and have reasonable freedom of movement without losing the camera if I drop it. Clip it back on to stow it when not in use and you need your hands free. Checkout ScubaToys. Larry gave me a decent deal. Just a thought.

And by the way donnad, Welcome to ScubaBoard!
You will love it here!

donnad:
thanks so much! those look great! will be diving Stetson Bank in the gulf of mex. on july 17, so i have time to get one shipped. thanks for the great tip.

Your welcome. And also welcome to the board!

Land Locked had a fine suggestion too.

Happy and safe diving at Stetson Bank. Maybe post a pic or two from that camera?

mack50md:

This is exactly how I secure my rig. (pt015/c5050/inon strobe etc.) It gives me the security of using both hands when needed without the threat of losing the camera rig. the only hassle and it's a really minor one is unclipping the lanyard from my BC to hand it up to the boat. I usually wear gloves so the fat fingers sometime just adds to the fun

Dave

thanks dave! will report back. diving on the 17th (weather permitting)
DWJ:
This is exactly how I secure my rig. (pt015/c5050/inon strobe etc.) It gives me the security of using both hands when needed without the threat of losing the camera rig. the only hassle and it's a really minor one is unclipping the lanyard from my BC to hand it up to the boat. I usually wear gloves so the fat fingers sometime just adds to the fun

Dave

I use a retractor and a double end clip for entry/exit and a lanyard when I'm shooting.

By using 2 clips, the camera doesn't bang around. The double ender goes on my right shoulder D ring and carries the weight. The retractor goes on the left shoulder webbing down near the bottom and pulls the camera across my chest. You can still pull the camera up if you need to quickly get a shot, but it's not going anywhere. When I'm ready to start shooting, I unhook the double ender and use a wrist lanyard (then unhook the retractor). Be sure to get the "high force" retractor.

retractor

double ender

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom