retractors,... to have or not to have.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Born2Dive

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, was wondering about the usefulness of having and using retractors. Are they really that useful, or a simple piece of string or bungy does the same trick.

cheers.:boozer:

I only use one on my gauges. It is definately a bonus to be able to pull it into view and then release it knowing it will snap back to place on my chest and not be a dangly.

All my other hoses and gear is usually attached using a simple snorkle keeper or, for those "will need but dont want to accidently lose" items like my reel, a D-ring and climber's clip.

I cant think of anything else that needs or for that matter would seriously benifit from a retractor.

Spydertek

been using one for a bit, still can't decide if it's an improvement over just tucking the gauges in my BC. The cord tends to obscure my view of the gauges and it's a nuisance when I want to use my compass.

retractors are clutter, IMHO they serve no purpose other than make a diver look like a christmas tree. My SPG is clipped of on my left hip D-ring and my compass and computer are on my wrists. My light is clipped to the right shoulder D-ring when not in use.
I wouldnt know what i'd need a retractor for :D

I started diving with my Cobra on a retractor. I now prefer a swivel bolt snap connected with a nylon tie, clipped off to a d-ring when not in use. Using a swivel snap does adds task loading as you have to find the d-ring and get the snap on it, rather than just releasing it with a retractor. However, with a little practice it becomes automatic.

In retrospect, the retractor was helpful as it reduced task loading while I was still struggling with buoyancy control. After I got to point where buoyancy control did not require conscious effort, I changed to swivel snaps.

IMO the swivel snap attachment method is preferable over a retractor as it is more streamlined and there’s less to break. Additionally, I use my compass attached to the Cobra a lot in the quarry. The retractor always trying to pull it back was annoying when swimming very far while using the compass.

As I progressed as a diver and started to add lights, reels, a pony bottle, etc., I needed to work more and more with swivel snaps and d-rings. The time and effort used on practicing with the snap on the Cobra paid off.

Mike

I use an akona retractor for my console and it works pretty well. That's the only thing I use one for. Everything else is clipped to D-rings.

I just bought a retractor cuz I got tired of tucking my console into my bc. It works fairly well. but that is about the only thing I would image a retractor being usefull for. Just my two cents worth.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom