Retractors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azspecter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys-
This might seem silly- but I am looking for a couple retractors. One for a dive light (a smaller one, the Q40 eLED) and the other for my console. I saw this one, which seems cool. Has a quick disconnect and swivel- just not sure if anyone else has better ones out there or not. Your thoughts?

SCUBA dic Mini Dive Flag Retractor

azspecter:
I am looking for a couple retractors. One for a dive light (a smaller one, the Q40 eLED) and the other for my console. I saw this one, which seems cool. Has a quick disconnect and swivel- just not sure if anyone else has better ones out there or not. Your thoughts?
Personally, I find retractors to be functional. I have one on my pool reg so I can quickly check my pressure while teaching wthout unclipping the, or having a dangling, console. There is a school of thought that they are a possible failure point (retractor sticks in fuilly extended position), that they encourage divers to attach too much 'stuff' to their BCD and produce a non-streamlined profile. This one seems reasonable, as retractors go. The quick release is another potential failure point, if it might allow your light to separate from you and be lost.

Retractors are OK but I find that by threading my HP hose and consul under my arm through the BCD it rests very well in the center of my body and is easy to see! My dive light I keep clipped in my pocket ready for use!
The less you have dangling on the outside the better really but everyone developes there own rig set up which suits themselves which is fine!

We have had excellent luck with Cetacea retractors.....for consoles I strongly recommend the High Force version.........

It pulls the console right up tight; I have seen many retractors that don't retract all the way due to the weight and relative inflexibility of the pressurized high pressure hose......

LP has it for $20........

Cetacea High-Force Retractor with Swivel Clip

Hope this helps.......M

I 2nd the recommendation for the Cetacea High-Force retractor. I've used this one without problems for almost 4 years now.
Cetacea Corporation - Scuba :: Retractors :: Locking Retractor
The locking feature is useful during safety stops etc. I clip it to a lower d-ring on my left side and it holds the console up tight but allows for easy viewing as needed.

Hey guys-
This might seem silly- but I am looking for a couple retractors. One for a dive light (a smaller one, the Q40 eLED) and the other for my console. I saw this one, which seems cool. Has a quick disconnect and swivel- just not sure if anyone else has better ones out there or not. Your thoughts?

personally I wouldn't hang my lite on one......

Personally, I find retractors to be functional. I have one on my pool reg so I can quickly check my pressure while teaching wthout unclipping the, or having a dangling, console. There is a school of thought that they are a possible failure point (retractor sticks in fuilly extended position), that they encourage divers to attach too much 'stuff' to their BCD and produce a non-streamlined profile. This one seems reasonable, as retractors go. The quick release is another potential failure point, if it might allow your light to separate from you and be lost.

Have you tried the magnetic kind of clip (not a retractor I know but)?

Have you tried the magnetic kind of clip (not a retractor I know but)?
No, I haven't. Have you had success with it? I am always interested in what others find that works, so I can advise students and divers in the future (and maybe even try it myself).

My son and I use the same Cetacea retractors as diversteve and jorgy recommend for the past year + with no failures and we are very happy with them. They hold tight and close (as long as you use the correct retractor as jorgy pointed out) but as diversteve said, its easy to grab your console, check air, direction, whatever and just let go and have it retract directly. We were in the Caribbean a couple of months ago and we were more buttoned up than our Dive Master.

Highly recommended!

Hey guys-

This is not a silly question. Too many divers just let their gear dangle. All we use are the Cetecea retractors. Used them for years and they still function like new. Great for the console, but I have to think about one for your light. When I use my Q40 to look into holes, I need to move it around too much for it to be attached to a retractor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom