• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Reverse dive profile advice

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba Discussions' started by epolice, Feb 1, 2020.

1. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The only safe answer is no answer so he can't blame you after he screws the pooch.

markmud and BurhanMuntasser like this.
  2. hroark2112

hroark2112 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Not to be captain obvious here, but why not get your nitrox certification?

rjack321 and markmud like this.
  3. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

He seems to have his hands full with 21% presently. Task overloading isn't indicated.

eleniel likes this.
  4. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

OP, if you are still around, just get yourself a basic, nitrox capable computer. If you do not use a computer you are just cheating yourself. While some old timers can compute from a table on the fly it is really archaic. There is nothing wrong with a reverse profile as you have offered. Just stay on the conservative side and a decent surface interval and you will be fine. A safety stop is a non-required stop that has some how become mandatory. It should not be thought of as a required deco stop. If you need a deco stop then you are in deco and diving well outside of a Basic SCUBA certification. Make it easy, get a computer, if you already have one, then use it conservatively. In some cases, you can nearly double your dive time over conventional use of a printed table. There are several people I dive with often enough, including my wife and myself and several others, who make the Cozumel dive guides cry uncle and laughingly order us out of the water well after an hour with max depths approaching 100 feet but we spent the majority of the dive up shallow looking for critters in the grass shallows. If we were strictly using the tables we would be back on the dive boat and our poor guides would be much happier. Have fun, be safely dangerous. N

5. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    OP, I recommend you hire a guide, or better yet, enroll in another continuing education course. Dive planning is really important, especially if you are attempting unguided shore dives.

Take your time, keep learning, stay within your limits, and have fun. :)

woodcarver, markmud and AfterDark like this.
  6. mac64

mac64 Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    25 minutes at 50 feet (total dive time 27 minutes) gives me an 18 minute penalty. Playing on the beach for 70 minutes will give me 5 minutes credit.
    80 feet for 20 minutes plus my 13 minute penalty will get me out of the water without a stop.

7. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

Resting on the beach, physical activity during an SI is thought to be problematic for off gassing

8. mmerriman

mmerriman Captain

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    your old school tables say these algorithms were developed with the assumption that the deepest dive is done first and all subsquent dives are the same depth or more shallow. You're literally diving into uncharted territory.

Rooster59 likes this.
  9. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

It's done quite often actually. Last time for me was wreck diving off NC. The weather off shore kept us in shore for the 1st dive, later the winds changed and we did the 2nd dive off shore at depths 2x the 1st dive. My PDC or any of the other 19 diver's PDC didn't have a problem with it, it happen 2 days that week.

IMO if the OP needs advice on this very basic issue the OP needs to go "back to the drawing board".

10. Rooster59

Rooster59 Solo Diver

This is correct. Tables != computers.