REVIEW: CREE MC-E Diving Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my light from Deal Extreme in Hong Kong - it came with s pair of rechargeable Li-Ion batteries and fits nicely in an Oxycheq Raider III light sock so you don't have to mess with fabricating a Goodman handle.
At the low setting, it's brighter than my Intova 3-watters. I'm not wild about the rotating light switch, but that's how it comes. All in all, one helluva light for under $100.
Oxycheq Raider Light Sock (Raider III) [ROLL-02-03] - $20.80 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I got the Raider Light Sock for my Intova. Glad to hear it fits this light as well.

Does the larger head of the Deal Extreme light get in the way of your hand when it's in the sock?

The head of the Cree isn't that big of a problem. I thought he light was going to be bigger than it actually turned out to be. I guess the light sock for the Raiders I and II is a little wider, but either size works ok.
I was pretty happy with the Intovas I have - I got a pair for around $45 when they first started popping up. The Cree at its lowest setting easily outshines the Intova, and there's still two more levels to ramp up.
In a year or two, it will be interesting to see what makes the Crees look like primitive pieces of outdated technolgy.
The amount of output light is pretty unreal, and no umbilical cord or battery cannister to deal with.

I just got my light from Deal Extreme in Hong Kong - it came with s pair of rechargeable Li-Ion batteries and fits nicely in an Oxycheq Raider III light sock so you don't have to mess with fabricating a Goodman handle.
At the low setting, it's brighter than my Intova 3-watters. I'm not wild about the rotating light switch, but that's how it comes. All in all, one helluva light for under $100.
Oxycheq Raider Light Sock (Raider III) [ROLL-02-03] - $20.80 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I thought of buying one of thes. My issue is no one here carries it local, and I am concerned about size. My hands are pretty big, and diving up here means 5mil gloves. You think I could fit it around all that?

The handstrap tightens or loosens with velcro. Even if it didn't fit, return shipping would only be a couple of bucks. I have big hands and it fits ok.

Hi Buccaneer

I've just ordered the Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO
I noticed that you have the Cree MC-E

I have been told that the difference is that the P7 is brighter but has a lower burn time
so, I got a extra pair of batteries for $6 off DealExtreme

I'll write a review as soon as it arrives

Considering it took three weeks to arrive to Seatle for someone else
I expect it will arrive to my village outside London sometime early February :shakehead:

Just came in from 3 dives in 100' lobstering and spearing. Light worked well. No issues. Only used high setting and had good penetration in ledges. Beam is more intense and focused than DR 300 LED. Seems at least as bright and focused as my old DR 10W HID canister. Going to do 3 more drops tomorrow and will report back on battery life since I am not charging it tonight.

Holy moly. I have an HID already but I sure do love toys...

Bad news. Light flooded on first dive today (4th dive overall). I thought the batteries gave out about mid-dive but it was flooded (water was visible in lens area) when I checked it out on the boat.

Bad news. Light flooded on first dive today (4th dive overall). I thought the batteries gave out about mid-dive but it was flooded (water was visible in lens area) when I checked it out on the boat.

I once had sea water enter the battery compartment of my strobe and it made a real mess. Electricity + sea water + metal just make a bad mix. Your light must be finished?

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom