REVIEW: CREE MC-E Diving Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking maybe I'm just gonna lubricate the double o-rings there at the back end before I dive it.

Yes, I have noticed it is a very snug fit, and you can easily mess up an o-ring if you're not careful putting the end cap on. I continue to dive mine with no issue, but I am very meticulous when taking the batteries in and out.

I had time today to look at the failed light and discovered that the lens bezel (the silver castellated aluminum ring that screws the lens down) was loose.

I was not aware that there was a removable bezel, and I speculate that it worked itself loose over the course of 4 dives over 2 days, being stuck in ledges and knocked around on the boat and in the back of my truck.

So, FYI, make sure that the end cap and lens bezel are both screwed down tight on this light. I will try to get a replacement through DX, since I was really impressed with this light for the price.

The lens is exactly 0.10 inches thick and about 2 inches in diameter.
Thats 2.54mm.

Thanks for clarifying for me that this is NOT a dive light.
The W200 that is sold on DX has a 6mm thick lens and its 25mm or so wide. a 50mm lens would be under 4 times the strain at the same depth but this is less than half the thickness. So 1/8 of the pressure rating.
W200 is rated to 200 meters. Meaning this is probably rated to 25meters.
That is why it costs only $81

Thats 2.54mm.

Thanks for clarifying for me that this is NOT a dive light.
The W200 that is sold on DX has a 6mm thick lens and its 25mm or so wide. a 50mm lens would be under 4 times the strain at the same depth but this is less than half the thickness. So 1/8 of the pressure rating.
W200 is rated to 200 meters. Meaning this is probably rated to 25meters.
That is why it costs only $81

Maybe, if we assume linearity and that the W200 is not underrated for depth.

Regardless of this speculation, my light did not suffer a lens failure. Like many failures, this one is attributed to operator error: I did not know the bezel was removable or loose.

For those with light requirements similar to mine: open ocean hunting dives to ~100' max, this light is bright, has a relatively tight beam for looking under ledges, and is affordable. I would not hesitate in getting another.

I am thinking about gett one of these. What is the max depth you guys have taken your light too?

I've had mine down to 97ft with no issues. Of course even though this is not a dive light...it works out since i am not a diver. Plus most of the sea life around the sound is in less than 100ft water anyway so the light doesn't have to withstand 300 ft of pressure as i will never go there with my current gear setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom