Review of Halcyon 10W HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwedishDiver

Reaction score
I'm also thinking of buying their 10W new Proteus light. I've heard there were problems with this light when it's cold. Any comments?

I like the lighthead alot. Seems really durable and indestructible... i think i need that :)=

SwedishDiver once bubbled...
I like the lighthead alot. Seems really durable and indestructible... i think i need that :)=
Have a closer read of some previous reviews on ScubaBoard... there have been a number of the new 10W lightheads with problems.

Take a look at the other companies producing 10W focusable lightheads (and NiMH canisters) before settling on the Halcyon. Unfortunately, several different Halcyon products are starting to show quality control issues, not limited to just the lightheads.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Have a closer read of some previous reviews on ScubaBoard... there have been a number of the new 10W lightheads with problems.

Take a look at the other companies producing 10W focusable lightheads (and NiMH canisters) before settling on the Halcyon. Unfortunately, several different Halcyon products are starting to show quality control issues, not limited to just the lightheads.

AFAIK they have worked out the problems, besides, Halcyons warranty is great, and they are very responsive when you have a problem.

The 18 watt head has always been trouble free.

No becuuse the HID provides much greater penetration and visibility due to the nature of HID.

Also, Halcyon has done a lot of work with the actual light head manufacturer. Due to the enormous demand for the 10w for a while some of the lights did not come out to Halcyon's specs due to mass productions. They have done a stand up job of fixing those that had any issues and the new batches are double checked to Halcyon specs and are doing great. The service and warranty program of Halcyon is world class.

It is true the 18w has always been a dream, and if anyone can go for the extra cost they will be so glad they did.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
No becuuse the HID provides much greater penetration and visibility due to the nature of HID.

Also, Halcyon has done a lot of work with the actual light head manufacturer. Due to the enormous demand for the 10w for a while some of the lights did not come out to Halcyon's specs due to mass productions. They have done a stand up job of fixing those that had any issues and the new batches are double checked to Halcyon specs and are doing great. The service and warranty program of Halcyon is world class.

It is true the 18w has always been a dream, and if anyone can go for the extra cost they will be so glad they did.

I'd have to disagree somewhat. I think the 10W HID Is comparable to a 35W halogen and the 18W HID is comparable to a 50W halogen. It is true that the HID light is a different color...one person described it as "happy".

Between the 18W and the 10W HID, the difference in light output is only about 30%, subjectively speaking. However, it is best to have lights that are matched to your buddies lights, otherwise your light will obliterate theirs and it will be harder to keep track of them.

I have the 18W and the 10W and I prefer the 18W, but the difference is really minimal. The 10W has a smaller profile, but in the water it makes no difference.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

I'd have to disagree somewhat. I think the 10W HID Is comparable to a 35W halogen and the 18W HID is comparable to a 50W halogen. It is true that the HID light is a different color...one person described it as "happy".

Between the 18W and the 10W HID, the difference in light output is only about 30%, subjectively speaking. However, it is best to have lights that are matched to your buddies lights, otherwise your light will obliterate theirs and it will be harder to keep track of them.

I have the 18W and the 10W and I prefer the 18W, but the difference is really minimal. The 10W has a smaller profile, but in the water it makes no difference.

The lights are a different colour, I was at the local tech dive shop a few days ago and I asked aobut the canisters and the guy showed me both lights working next to each other.

One was yellow and the other daylight, at first when you only see one you think it's fine , but when you put the HID next to it you see the yellow.

Great for photos or for viewing a reef, brings back teh real colours

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom