Review: Whites Fusion Drysuit - say goodbye to cave cut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We hung the Fusions up in our downstairs bathroom (cool but dry) and they were completely dry by morning. I think they dry just as fast as my trilam suit does.

Since there's been lots of questions about using the Fusion in cold-water...

This is aboard the Monterey Express 19 Jan 2008.

jandjmontereyexpress.jpg

All the best, James

James,

How many dives do you have on your Fusion now and how's it holding up?

Thanks

Bob

James,

How many dives do you have on your Fusion now and how's it holding up?

Thanks

Bob

Exactly 32 dives. I am amazed at how well it's holding up, the material just doesn't look as robust as it's performing. I guess there's really something to this double layer stuff, plus, the bladder is actually pretty tough material, and it's hidden under the fairly lightweight lycra. Your first impression of durability comes from handling the outer layer, so, it's easy to under estimate how much abuse it can take.

Yesterday Janet pointed out a fairly concentrated patch of pilling inbetween her shoulder blades. This matched up with a exposed patch of hook velcro on her backplate. One of the weakness of lycra is that it pills easily from velcro, which just makes it look fuzzy, and doesn't really abrade the fabric away.

Do you find that the Fusion dries as quickly as a 3mm wetsuit?
No. I'd say if that it's about 30% slower to dry. The bulk of water soaked into the lycra evaporates rather quickly (say in 45 minutes), and then it feels slightly damp for quite a while (say and hour, hour and a half?), as the lycra acts as a transport media to let the bladder underneath dry off. These times are when hung up in our bathroom, about 68 degrees F 40% humidity.

The inside is a different story. I flip it inside out, wipe off the condensation with a towel, and hang it up; in about 5-10 minutes it is bone dry.

All the best, James

i wish i could trade my near-new evo2 drysuit in for one of these... looks like exactly what i wanted in a drysuit
Thanks for the review and info

Well, I'm looking forward to taking one of these in the pool this weekend. My LDS, Houston Scuba Academy has the White's rep in town to offer a pool demo on Saturday.

I got the opportunity to try one on at the Texas Dive Show last weekend. It's certainly not easy getting it on, but hopefully this would improve with practice (and without jeans bunched up under an undergarment).

Once it was on, it certainly feels pretty unrestricive, though I'm afraid the legs in the L/XL were a bit too short for my 34 1/2 inseam. It will be interesting to try in the water.

I just hope I don't like this thing too much as I have a TLS350 on order...

Bob

Also, in the cold water questions department, I've seen lots of "can you use dry gloves".

dryglovesside.jpg

dryglovesendview.jpg

It's just like any other drysuit as far as installing dry gloves goes.

All the best, James

I'll be putting a p-valve on mine when it shows up-a Salvo balanced valve, I'm going to use a soldering iron to go through the outer shell (and my x-shorts). I'll report after a few test dives.

I would like to thank Eric for visiting my LDS yesterday to talk to the shop staff about Whites Drysuits and allow use to try out the Fusion. I was able to test dive one yesterday and very impressed. It was my first time to dive a drysuit but Eric was very helpful we me as a rookie. The drysuit was very nice after spending the two days before in a 5mm wetsuit in 57 degree lake water. My big problem is do I get one now and use it for 2 1/2 months until the water is warm or do I wait until October for next winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom