Review: Whites Fusion Drysuit - say goodbye to cave cut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't mean it was made of neoprene, only that a heavy-duty skin would be more thick/durable; I can see how this confused you, I should have been more careful with my wording. Rather, from their flier (http://www.whitesdiving.com/index.php?id=342&cid=593&site=4), there's an available "Hybrid Tech skin for higher abrasion resistance and added thermal protection." I have no idea what it's made of, though I doubt it would be compressible neoprene (what would be the point for a shell suit?)

Still the question does remain, is the removable-skin idea a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none situation?

It's neoprene, I was at DEMA, I asked.

It's neoprene, I was at DEMA, I asked.

Interesting, thanks for the clarification Rico. Were you able to find out if this was a compressed neoprene , or how the suit's buoyancy would be affected by such an outer layer?

The "tech" skin that we introduced at DEMA will be available in the new year - it is a 1mm neoprene combined with lycra for additional stretch - the neoprene is not compressed. We understand that some people do not feel the lycra will be enough in a cave or wreck environment. This is why we have come out with the tech skin. More skins will be created as we move forward and we hear the demand (all your comments here go straight to the top). Frank's chair is 20' from mine.

Yes we could have a thicker neoprene or you could use a neoprene suit - you would lose stretch/mobility.
Yes, you could use a shell instead - you wouldn't be as streamlined, and you wouldn't have the same stretch.
Yes we could use a compressed neoprene - it would add expense - but a good idea!

Do keep in mind - how many drysuit manufacturers offer a protective layer (that is replaceable) over the dry layer?

Have we perfected this suit for every diver in every situation? No.
Are we done developing and enhancing this suit? No.
Are we all ears regrading what your priority is? you bet!

What I am hearing is that you want a super stretchy, ultra durable skin with pockets at the cheapest price point possible.....

Until the next dive,
Tyler

Tyler,

I am not currently in the market for a drysuit. I recently purchased one that I am extremely happy with. However, I do appreciate your company coming here and soliciting the opinions of divers.

What has been baffling me, is the proposed target audience for this product. I've tried to come up with it, and just cant. Yes, the suit is streamlined, and yes it is innovative. But who is the target market for a drysuit, that offers no pockets, and has a lycra cover?

Presumably wreck and cave divers would want something more durable, and certainly something with pockets. Boat divers would probably want a place to store an SMB and spool and other gear. So who is it aimed at?

I'll be curious to see how you handle the tougher skin issue. Typically fabrics that resist abrading, aren't very stretchy. Neoprene brings it's own challenges though a 1mm cover isn't going to really mess up buoyancy too much. But putting it on could prove a challenge.. And I'm not so sure how I'd feel on a rocking boat, working to get my drysuit on, and then having to put what is essentially a diveskin over my drysuit.

I'd love to hear your thought on this.

<snip>

What has been baffling me, is the proposed target audience for this product. I've tried to come up with it, and just cant.
<snip>
...the "target audience" is probably the hundreds stampeding to buy the Fusion?

I'd strongly suggest trying on the Fusion at a dealer before you speculate about it. Laying hands on it makes all the difference. At DEMA, I watched superb, world caliber divers go from saying "Look at this, it will never work because of (fill in the blank)", to getting into the suit, to "Wow! I'll take one, no,make that two, another one for my wife".

And I'm not so sure how I'd feel on a rocking boat, working to get my drysuit on, and then having to put what is essentially a diveskin over my drysuit.
It's all one piece. Try it with an open mind, you too will be impressed.

All the best, James

James (and Tyler),

Two things. One, I am in North Florida. I don't believe there is a dealer near me. I was looking for one last year when I was doing my drysuit search.

Other thing, how do you put a p-valve on that suit?

Perrone, I'm not a dealer, I don't even work in a shop. Tyler (who is a really, really nice guy, BTW) can answer where one might be close to you.

If you make it this way, you're welcome to use mine.

As for the pee-valve, I was there when a Brittish diver discussed getting one installed, it's the same as every other pee-valve apparently.

All the best, James

I'm with you on X-shorts for wetsuits, but I find them to be a PITA in general and much prefer permanent attachment... on any suit I intend to keep more than a couple of years (read: drysuits, vs. wetsuits with a limited lifespan) I expect real pockets.

Don't you?
I have a pair of the new X-Shorts and as far as I can tell, they are "real pockets".

If it solves the pocket issue for this drysuit (for people smaller than PerroneFord), then I don't see what the problem is.

This suit does look interesting and I wouldn't mind see it live.

James (and Tyler),

Two things. One, I am in North Florida. I don't believe there is a dealer near me. I was looking for one last year when I was doing my drysuit search.

Other thing, how do you put a p-valve on that suit?

Hey Perrone, there is a high probablity that there is very little in your area in terms of dealers right now (our apologies) - for now you can check here. However that will change - Eric, who is the sales manger for the Florida area has 15-20 dealer applications for dive stores in the Florida area sitting in his trailer (our demo trailer) right now ready to be sifted through and approved - all stores ready to purchase Fusions.

Continue watching our website for updates on new dealers.

Until the next dive,
Tyler

Thanks Tyler. I see the closest dealer to me is in Panama City, which is about an hour and a half. If I am down there to do some diving, I'll stop in and see if they have one of these suits in stock. It would be interesting to see one in person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom