Question Reviving A Bent Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Early this week while diving in Mexico I found a Suunto Zoop on a reef. It still has power and correctly shows the depth & temp with the OLF graph pegged all the way to the top with 11 segments lit. The ASC TIME/NO DEC TIME show ER. DIVE TIME reads 999. The computer did not respond to any button pushing.

Somewhere in my foggy memory I thought I recalled that a bent Suunto will reset after 48 hours, and checking an online manual confirmed this. It's been 72 hours now, but it still shows ER. Pushing the TIME button will now toggle back and forth between the total dive time and the current clock time. The other two buttons don't do anything.

Any hints? Do I just need to wait longer? Will pulling the battery do anything? There's no other reference to the ER state in the manual.

Thanks

I'd wait a couple more days and if it doesn't reset then I'd pull the battery for a day or so and see if that works. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Suuntos can get rather finicky at times.

Any idea how long it was on the reef for, and what depth was it at? I imagine it's supersaturated at this point, unclear how a rec computer would handle that. It's probably very far out of its deco parameters.

By chance I just saw this old post, says Sunnto Vyper took a week to reset, so seems it can take longer than 48hrs. If you are not in a hurry just leave it for a week or two,otherwise pull the battery and see if it resets it.

I'd change the bettery in a used DC anyway, given age is unknown, check for corrosion, might be a low quality battery that goes from working to low voltage without much warning etc. Presuming you cant trace the owner that lost it then you got a free DC, changing the battery and O ring seems like a cheap investment in it.

"I bent a suunto vyper like a pretzel in Scapa Flow last year on dive 2. It sat in gauge mode for the rest of week reading "Err" on the screen. I was only using it as a BT anyway, but I wanted to see how quickly I could bend it..."

Any idea how long it was on the reef for, and what depth was it at? I imagine it's supersaturated at this point, unclear how a rec computer would handle that. It's probably very far out of its deco parameters.
The depth was 42ft. Total dive time showed 999 minutes but it had to be longer - there was the start of organic growth in a couple of stops.

Update - after three days the Depth changed to 0ft and Temp starting showing the current air temperature. The Time button let me toggle between total dive time and the current time. But the computer still showed it was in Error, OLF was still pegged at 11 segments and I couldn't access any menus.

I pulled the battery, waited a few minutes and when I put it back in it worked. After resetting the time and date I checked the Logbook which showed the last dive was about 4 weeks ago.

Anyone want to buy a used Zoop? 😁

It probably just needs a chamber ride and it'll be right as rain. Call DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom