rEvo O2 Delivery System Modifications (HMHS Britannic prep)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It has been a while since I posted. I recently returned from diving the Britannic and have a series of posts I'll be making.

The first is about some modifications I did to the rEvo CMF system to allow automatic O2 delivery up to depths of 120 meters. There are other ways of achieving this goal (which are discussed in the post) but I think this makes it much easier.

Please don't do this unless you (a) really need to because you are regularly diving > 90m and (b) you know what the heck you are doing

I contacted rEvo and had a "custom made" 1st stage with an increased IP (13.5 bar) and a smaller orifice. Here is the post with all of the details:

Regards,

- brett

Thanks!

Excellent post! Great to see the various methods of running the rEvo below 100m in one place.
Look forward to reading your Britantic report, is on my bucket list!

It has been a while since I posted. I recently returned from diving the Britannic and have a series of posts I'll be making.

The first is about some modifications I did to the rEvo CMF system to allow automatic O2 delivery up to depths of 120 meters. There are other ways of achieving this goal (which are discussed in the post) but I think this makes it much easier.

Please don't do this unless you (a) really need to because you are regularly diving > 90m and (b) you know what the heck you are doing

I contacted rEvo and had a "custom made" 1st stage with an increased IP (13.5 bar) and a smaller orifice. Here is the post with all of the details:

Regards,

- brett

Nice work!

I have two manual units. Triton and a homebuild both are running plugged Apeks 1st stages. Anything deeper than 120m I just put one of the Subgravity stiff spring in and crank the IP up. I am lucky enough to have a coveted KISS clicky needle valve on one and have a Chris Kennedy needle valve for the other for this setup. Takes me about 2-3min switch over the spring and bump my IP up to 15bar.

Anyways lets get to the good stuff. How amazing was the Britannic??!!??!! This is on my to do list for 2024.

Who did you use for the permits and dive logistics? Marinos from AegeanTec?

Just wondering has anyone had any issues or heard of any issues with running O2 at 13.5 bar in a CCR? adiabatic compression etc.

TIA

Nice work!

I have two manual units. Triton and a homebuild both are running plugged Apeks 1st stages. Anything deeper than 120m I just put one of the Subgravity stiff spring in and crank the IP up. I am lucky enough to have a coveted KISS clicky needle valve on one and have a Chris Kennedy needle valve for the other for this setup. Takes me about 2-3min switch over the spring and bump my IP up to 15bar.

Anyways lets get to the good stuff. How amazing was the Britannic??!!??!! This is on my to do list for 2024.

Who did you use for the permits and dive logistics? Marinos from AegeanTec?

Thanks! The Britannic was absolutely epic. It is hard to convey how big and impressive it is.

I will be posting the overall trip report to my blog on Monday and then will follow-up with detailed posts for the Britannic, Burdigala, and Patris.

The permit process changed in mid-2022 which has made diving the wreck easier. The post on Monday will provide all the details including dive operations, logistics, etc. We dove with Keadivers.

Based on the success of this trial trip, Ben Lair ( @DiveTucson ) and Paragon Dive Group are running trips to Britannic and already have dates set for 2024 and beyond. It is probably the "easiest" way to dive the wreck since all logistics, etc. are taken care of. Details are at:

Regards,

- brett

Disclosure: I have no financial relationship with Paragon Dive Group. Ben is a friend and we have done a lot of cool diving together, including the recent trip to the Britannic.

It is nice to see rEvo still working with the existing customer base.
Maybe I missed it, but I thought there was an issue with running the higher IP with the solenoid not having the power to overcome the higher pressure? Maybe an older solenoid? Pretty sure there have been a few changes over the years.

I still have the blanking plug that came with my rEvo. The full eCCR conversion. Never used it. I like your method better.

The Britannic pictures were incredible. I watched those daily as Ben was posting them. It will be a few more years before I am close to running those. The 200' dives in Truk are as far as I should be taking myself right now. I was with Ben the couple weeks prior in Truk. I have to say the rEvo was working perfectly on that trip. I think every other rebreather on that trip had an issue.

It was nice to see the rEvo taking on the deep dives.

It is nice to see rEvo still working with the existing customer base.
Maybe I missed it, but I thought there was an issue with running the higher IP with the solenoid not having the power to overcome the higher pressure? Maybe an older solenoid? Pretty sure there have been a few changes over the years.

I still have the blanking plug that came with my rEvo. The full eCCR conversion. Never used it. I like your method better.

The Britannic pictures were incredible. I watched those daily as Ben was posting them. It will be a few more years before I am close to running those. The 200' dives in Truk are as far as I should be taking myself right now. I was with Ben the couple weeks prior in Truk. I have to say the rEvo was working perfectly on that trip. I think every other rebreather on that trip had an issue.

It was nice to see the rEvo taking on the deep dives.

I'll be publishing my overall trip report tomorrow and then the Britannic post a few days later. It will be an epic one. I got some great photos.

In terms of the solenoid, I'm not sure. But, rEvo sent me a new 1st stage, new orifice and new solenoid so I'm assuming that it should be fine. In practice, I had it down to about 360 fsw and didn't have any issues.

- brett

Have often wondered if the Revo solenoid and orifice could be separated such that they could be fed by two regulators; one variable IP, one fixed IP.

Then the solenoid and manual add could continue to work on the bottom phase when the orifice stops.

Appreciate this would require more internal plumbing for an additional line into the exhale counterlung which the factory would need to do, which would crash headlong into the CE type approval constraints.

In case people didn't see the note, I published my Trip Report about Kea. I'll publish separate posts about the three wrecks, including the Britannic, in the near future. Here it is:

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom