RFC: DIR Forum Proposal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
Posted this in a different thread, where it might not be seen. Thought I'd post it here:

lamont:
Yep, and that's my idea to reduce the noise in the DIR forum from all the "accidental" flybys that make it difficult to moderate.

- Remove the DPF and merge the old posts into the DIR forum
- Make the DIR forum opt-in, but unapproved (we can add approvals later)
- Pre-populate the opt-in on the DIR forum with the list from the DPF
- Make the DIR forum read-only for those not-opted-in so that newbies can find the discussions.

Then if someone "accidentally" replies to a post in the DIR forum with non-DIR answers they'll have to actually go opt-in in order to post, which makes the excuses a whole lot less plausible. Hopefully the real accidental posts are suppressed completely, and a good chunk of the problem posters won't actually bother to opt-in, and all we'll have left is the deliberate troublemakers who do go through the trouble, and then its easier for me to moderate those posters.

The problem right now is that the DIR forum is for "discussion" of DIR, and the problem posts do lead to "discussion" and with the "oops, I didn't see the forum" excuse its difficult to ban them as trolls, so moderation is troublesome. So we tend to rely on "community policing" from the few solidly DIR posters who are left who just shout down the bad information. We can be more aggressive in moderation, but then it just terrifies the newbies from ever wanting to ask a question.

Interested mostly in DIR posters comments on doing this. Considered posting it only in the DPF forum, but its possible that not everyone has access.

I like it the way we have it. Occasionally those 'non DIR posts' spark a little discussion about why things are done the way they are. Also, if it's opt-in, I think that will post an unneeded barrier discourage folks who are curious about DIR from asking genuine questions.

Its generally been pretty good lately, imo. Every once in a while theres a non-dir answer, but a polite request to keep the thread on track usually suffices.

I like it the way we have it. Occasionally those 'non DIR posts' spark a little discussion about why things are done the way they are. Also, if it's opt-in, I think that will post an unneeded barrier discourage folks who are curious about DIR from asking genuine questions.

Its generally been pretty good lately, imo. Every once in a while theres a non-dir answer, but a polite request to keep the thread on track usually suffices.

Well, this sounds good as I have no idea what IT Lamont was talking about in his post. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom