Rhetorical questions about the blue hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Edit: Yeah, I know I misspelled the title -just one of those days

I dragged my sorry butt down to the hole today, missed all the RMO's but I have a couple of questions (trying to live up to my name):

When you see an instructor with 2 students fining vertical 3' off the bottom creating a 30' silt out, what is the hand signal for - what the heck are you doing bozo?

(I bit my tongue on this one, but it really irked me. They were doing drills!)

What is this 100 day of summer, cops are everywhere thing New Mexico? It is not summer and the signs came out in May, like 150 days ago. I paid my dues already ($85 cha-ching)

LOL

The Cops everywhere thing has to do with the fact that that stretch of I-40 (from ABQ to Texas border) is rated one of the deadliest highways in the Nation. More fatal accidents, rollovers, etc. Really bad... I guess due to fact it is so straight and nothing to look at but plains and antelope causing drivers to go too fast and lose control or fall asleep due to boredom. Sorry they got you!

When you see an instructor with 2 students fining vertical 3' off the bottom creating a 30' silt out, what is the hand signal for - what the heck are you doing bozo?

What is this 100 day of summer, cops are everywhere thing New Mexico? It is not summer and the signs came out in May, like 150 days ago. I paid my dues already ($85 cha-ching)

I don't know what the signal is for 'what RU doing bozo", but I can think of an appropriate signal that is universally recognized.

NM, and many other states don't have a lot of budget to hire COPS or much of anything. So a sign is worth a few cops. Apparently they don't need cops if they have signs! I certainly have NOT seen an increase in police along I25 in NM. I have seen an increase in threatening signs however! :D

I don't know what the signal is for 'what RU doing bozo", but I can think of an appropriate signal that is universally recognized.

NM, and many other states don't have a lot of budget to hire COPS or much of anything. So a sign is worth a few cops. Apparently they don't need cops if they have signs! I certainly have NOT seen an increase in police along I25 in NM. I have seen an increase in threatening signs however! :D

Last time we were at BH, vis was great on our first dive, and then an hour later a bunch of bozos were standing, yes standing, on the bottom in the silt creating a huge plume cloud. I swam over to them and gave them the WTF shoulder shrug pointing at the plume of silt and they looked at me like I was from Mars. Vis sucked the rest of the dive.... total white out from bottom up. :idk: some people just don't get it.

robin:D

Hey Doug!

Sorry to read that people were messing up the vis for you at the BH. Those pictures that you and I took of the trees from about 40 ft. when I was there w/ you are some of my most favorite diving pics!

As a comparison, I was out at one of our local hang outs here in VA on Sat., Lake Rawlings, and 20 ft of vis was about as good as it got. I'm going to have to get out in some warm, clear water again SOON!

Regards,

Larry W.

Hey Doug!

Sorry to read that people were messing up the vis for you at the BH. Those pictures that you and I took of the trees from about 40 ft. when I was there w/ you are some of my most favorite diving pics!

As a comparison, I was out at one of our local hang outs here in VA on Sat., Lake Rawlings, and 20 ft of vis was about as good as it got. I'm going to have to get out in some warm, clear water again SOON!

Regards,

Larry W.

Hi Larry,

I was a bit grumpy - I don't mind it when nature messes up the vis or even new divers blow it. Just blew my mind when an experienced diver (instructor) blew it. I am stuck in Ireland for now and their diving is a bit beyond what I want to do right now (cold, deep and dark like their beer).

It has always seemed to me that the major occupation for the citizens in the Santa Rosa area is law enforcement, judging by the number of such vehicles in the vicinity.

Perhaps the area is a hotbed of illegal roadway activity. I think of this every time I head out of town and see the road sign indicating the way to Tucumcari. I can't help but think of this soung by Little Feat:

I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty, don't ya know,
And I'm still willin'
Out on the road late last night,
Seen my pretty Alice in every head light
Alice, Dallas Alice

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
I've driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
If you give me: weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin' to be movin'

I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet
Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet
And I'm still... willin'
Now I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico
Baked by the sun, every time I go to Mexico
And I been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
I've driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
I've driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign I'll be willin' to be movin'

Written by Lowell T. George. Also performed by Steve Earle.

Back
Top Bottom