Rhode Island diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all. I am looking at relocating to Providence and am wanting to get a feel for what the diving situation is. I know there is water and that means diving.

My questions are:
Is the diving year round? I will be diving dry. If not what is the season?
I am unsure where charters would leave from, how far of a drive from providence to get to a charter?
How far out from shore are the good sites? How far out do you have to go to get to 100? 150? 200+? I would like to add to my tech certs
How active is the dive community in the area?

Any other info would be great.

Thanks,
jimmy

Newport and Jamestown both have very good shore access. As to depths,you can get over 180' at castle hill on Newport from shore. Boats go to numerous wrecks such as u853,Blackpoint. Spearfishing via free diving is very popular there with kayaks....good all around location for diving.

Depends on where the boat is going and from what dock it leaves from..Generally not as long a boat ride as here in NYC where it can be anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours or more...should be able to shore dive pretty much year round..In just about 2 or 3 weeks the gulf stram will bring up tropical fish right up to shore there.

Most of my coastal diving is off NC. 20-40+ miles off shore to reach 100-130' is common if the boat can make it out. Good sites, but the trip is long and rough. A shore dive to 180 is an awesome perspective. Any other info people would like to add is very very welcome

Back
Top Bottom