Rhode Island Shipwrecks Event aboard URI's R/V Endeavor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what they expect to accomplish? It's not like it's an unknown or newly discover wreck. Heck I've dived that sub so many times I could go from bow to stern and back to the conning tower with a blacked out mask. I'll be DVR'ing it thanks.

I'm curious what they will be mapping as well. She has seemed more tired this year. URI better hope that the draggers are not out!

I'm curious what they will be mapping as well. She has seemed more tired this year. URI better hope that the draggers are not out!

They probably have the USCG to keep them away! I found an article about the project after reading it I was left with the feeling they are mapping it to preserve what it looks like now, before it collapses in on itself. I remember the 1st few times I dived it some of the teak decking was still there!

URI team to explore sunken German U-boat off Narragansett - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

I DVr'd all episodes of this program; I've watched 2 and have only seen the water at the surface and the inside of the Endeavor!

Wasupwitdat?

I watched the 11Am installment today. They were diving the Montana coal barge. The most interesting person so far has been Bill. I was treated to a race between females donning survival suits also. I think they need a producer.

Last edited:
I hear ya AfterDark, this has turned into a state embarrassment. Apparently they couldn't even get to either section of the Black Point either. These past two days were certainly diveable scuba wise.

Diveable for us, but we're not million dollar ROVs, wouldn't want to lose one of those! :) I think they need better conditions than we do.

He said they were constantly fighting winds and currents to stay in the same place because the ship doesn't have dynamic positioning.

Now that's a problem out there. Sounds like they need to go old school and use 4 anchors 2 fwd and 2 aft port and stbd. I think they should bring Bill out there and have him push the ROV around! :)

I work for the Navy in Newport, this is pathetic that URI can't get it together for a simple swim around the U-853. I say that when I am a URI OE MS alumni and have 2 sons as current URI seniors. This should not be a difficult mapping to conduct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom