RI charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstudley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any charter operations local to RI that run year round? Everyones schedule seems to stop around November 1'st. I'm looking for a reliable yet reasonable boat which will go to the local wrecks other than the U-853 (ie. Black Point, Idene, Neptune, Teti, Explorer, etc), explore other sites of interest (Narragansett Pinnacles, Block Island Pinnacle, Whale Rock, etc) and accomodate non-deco, air/nitrox breathing divers.

I guess I'm looking for the RI equivilant of the charters Cape Ann Divers run.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeesh Matt, that guy we used this summer was great.... well.... I mean except for the whole near sinking incident.... or the divemaster forgetting to show up..... or um the fact that on the raincheck charter for the near-sinking he crammed 5 divers, two of them tech divers with two sets of doubles each into a 27 ft boat.... or um the fact that he just sort of skipped our second dive for no reason on that charter.... or the fact that he grabbed the wrong mooring buoy on the wreck....

I mean what do you expect dude? A charter boat that floats, has space to move and a crew that has knowledge of the dive sites?!?!?!!? :wink:

mstudley:
OK, I should have said "besides the Seeker" :) They seem to cater more towards the tech crowd, which is great and I will go with them for the deeper/farther out stuff but I just wanted to find a smaller boat to run a couple of divers out to the local inshore/non-deco friendly sites.

ok i guess im gonna have to defuse that myth..

SEEKER does cater to the "tech"crowd.
that what she was built for..
but the majority of the dives are recreational....
all the wrecks you named.....we do.....as do the tech guys. they just do penetration, stay longer, and do deco.
some trips. SOME have minnimum requirements based on the depth....
the BASS requires Advanced nirtox/deco the doria requires Trimix
but anything 130 or less just requires aow
so many people shy away from SEEKER because they thing were too hard core for them.....but we do it all....
and if ya wanna get the advanced training. we do all that too.
Capt. Mike is a IT for everything up thru CCR Trimix
and does all the training right on the boat.

Diesel298:
as do the tech guys. they just do penetration, stay longer, and do deco..

Perhaps that's why he is looking for a different boat. Paying to sit around while the deco guys finish up isn't much fun.

SEEKER does ALOT of charters where everyone is a every day recreational diver
SEEKER does it all, and caters to everyone
i havent herd anyone who has been on the boat have a complaint about the operation of it yet
Have you ever dove on SEEKER?

she is a large stable platform that makes a very comfortable experence.
when weather might cancel a smaller boat its still comfey on SEEKER
the prices are competive,
and i as do everyone ive talked to have enjoyed every trip.

like i mentioned before...
alot of people think we only do the trch stuff...
well we do but we do everything else too

To be fair, I've never been on a charter with the Seeker nor was I trying to dismiss their operation with this thread. I know that they cover all the sites that I mentioned but what I was really looking for was a smaller boat/operation (ie. less spots to fill to steam... 2 would be ideal) to run me/us/whatever out to local sites with good availability (ie. call up a few days or a week before and book).

I want to give the Seeker a try but I really have no idea what their schedule is at the moment (my fault for not asking). Again, I'm not dismissing them I am just looking for other options.

i know you where not dismissing SEEKER
its just common to hera that she caters to the tech crowd..
and as that is true. she also cateres to the recreational crowd
if i can help in any way with your questions feel free to PM me or e mail me
diesel298@verizon.net

I dove the SEEKER a few weeks back on the Uboat (in fact my avatar pic is me on the ladder of the SEEKER...don't ask). I don't consider myself a tech diver, although I don't necessarily consider myself a recreational diver either...figure that one out...anyway, my buddy and I had a great time and I would say without hesitation is was the BEST day of diving I've ever had. If others on the boat are having a longer bottom time, there are plenty of bunks to lie down and take a nap in...which is what I did. If the generator is back up and running, there is a television set w/ a full compliment of diving based tapes to watch. Personally, I was having a great time watching Capt Mike and the others get suited up, etc and in the process learn more about their diving.

It's a shame that more recreational divers in the area aren't taking advantage of such a great diving platform...if I lived a little closer, I would be on the SEEKER every weekend!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom