Richard Pyle Video -- @#$% cold at 400'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck:
However, I still want to go to 400-600ft and see it for myself.
Hello... anyone here? :D

Andrew

I might need a few years but I could be talked into it. I just need money, gear, and training. LOL

Crazyduck:
Debra- your too nice. Just wanting to share with friends...

Alan- Yep, they had no mountain goat climbing section.
It was a pleasure to dive together sir.
However, I still want to go to 400-600ft and see it for myself.
Hello... anyone here? :D

Andrew

I'm in ... just playing catch up. :)

Crazyduck:
Hey there, you have every right to think that this is a hoax- but I am sure it is not.

In some parts of the Pacific they do not get thermoclines the same as we get in other parts of the world. Not saying they are not there- just depends on the surrounding waters.

Mr. Pyle’s crew out of Hawaii- has been using the Cis-Lunar for a very long time. They started using the units because of the bailout nightmare they had to create to support themselves if something failed. Going closed circuit provides them with the benefit of closed circuit constant PPo2 for decompression, the unit is nitrox mixing machine with three onboard computers and a hydrophobic membrane. The unit has been the Cadillac of rebreather until recently. Plus Cis-Lunar is BACK! Recently announced that they are back on the market- details to follow. Also the system works out decompression and the gas used is fractions of open circuit. Mt. Pyle’s deep diving rig was outlined in a deep diving book and it was a mess of tanks.

Visibility can be that good, but there is no promises on how often you get such good conditions. Christmas Island is very unique place and diving there is rather remote- ha!

I hope that I have not insulted anyone- this was for fun.

Stay we- be happy,
Andrew

Hey CrazyDuck
No offense at all. Like I said, I have never been very deep and other than Cozumel my experience has been Lake Travis. If it can be that light at 400 feet then I would love to go there and see it. I have NO experience with this type of stuff. Just curious about some of the fish that were photographed too. Hey it was fun.

Hmmm, might have to sit that one out. 400' isn't a dive, it's an expedition although I'd be happy to do the support diver thing and hang out with some 250' deco bottles.. after I get another two years of experience.

After much internal discussion, the Mod team has determined that it is beyond our jurisdiction and ability to control content outside of Scubaboard.

That being said, several threads containing links to this video have been combined into this thread and the following disclaimer is being added.

BEFORE you click on the link to the video, be aware that it contains significant amounts of vulgar language. It has been confirmed that many business web filters block presentation of this video and as such, if you are click on this from work, you may very well cause the event to be logged to your IT Security Department.

Other than that, you can see the result of cold water, trimix, and rebreathers are combined to make what some consider a pretty funny video......

I thought it was funny, in good part to the juxtaposition of the cursing with the helium induced cartoon voices.

But all the constant chatter makes me not want to get into diving with com gear.

If you click on the small google button on the bottom right you'll find a little explanation of this dive. Pyle was wearing a t shirt and bathing trunks. The water was 85 deg until they hit the thermocline at 320' where it dropped to 50 deg. Personally, I don't understand why they didn't just stay above the thermocline. I guess it's all in the name of science! But 50 deg!!!!! In Richard's own words: HOLY ****! Hilarious video. Interesting how they didn't have a dive plan though:

How far are we going to go?

What?

How deep are we going to go?

I don't know.

I started thinking about whether the video was real or not.

I saw some people mention that the lighting was very good for 400 feet. In some frames they have the camera view over the horizon underwater and it's incredibly dark; so my conclusion is that they had very good lighting on there camera.

Some people noted that the other diver was wearing a wetsuit and full foot fins with the foot exposed. They are in the tropics. Only 5 degree's north of the equator.

Also, it's obvious that they didn't plan their maximum depth/time and it apeared that they were diving on a wall. I gather this information based on some of the comments made by pyle when answering the "how deep are we going to go?". Also when they were making their ascent back up they stayed close to the ground. I believe this video is real.

dude....it is no longer on the google page!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom