Richards Headquarters For Skin Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plug

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

A couple of years ago I was given an aqualung reg set, it has a sticker on it from Richards Headquaters For Skin Divers I was wondering if anyone new about this and if they are still around?

the regs appear to be Conshelf XII or XIV, with a sea bee manual reg as occy, the pressure gauge looks more a trye pressure checker that anything else, sort of a barrell with a pin that is forced out to measure pressure.

I am thinking about trying to get them serviced, although last time I tried the dive shop just offered me money for them.

no real reson for wanting this info just interest.

Brendan

I recall back in the 60's & 70's there was a Richard's Aqua Lung Center on 42nd St in Manhattan, New York that was a mail order and store front dive shop.

Thanks Captain,

That puts the regs about the same vinatge as the tank, made in 1972.

I am going to try and get the regs serviced over the next couple of weeks, not sure if I should update the pressure gauge though.

Brendan

I know this post is really outdated by now but I had to chime in. There was indeed a Richards Aqua Lung Dive Center on West 42 Street in Manhattan only a few blocks from Times Square between 7 and 8 Avenues. In fact, it is where I purchased my dive gear back in 1989 shortly after getting certified. I purchased, among other things, what I recall to be the US Divers Conshelf Reg and a BCD which I cannot recall the brand of at the moment. So I can vouch for the existence of this establishment in 1989 but not thereafter. I do know that it is no longer in existence here in NYC but can't offer any date for its demise.

Which leads me to my next subject. I still have most of the gear I purchased there back in 1989 but only used it a handful of times back then. Now that I am semi-retired I have renewed interest in diving and am hoping I can resurrect some of my old equipment, especially my regulator and BCD to use now. I am a newbie here at the board and was hoping to get a referral for a good reputable Dive Shop or Tech in the NYC area to have this vintage gear checked out and serviced.
Much obliged and thanks in advance for any replies.

I was 13 years old in 1972 when my mom bought me all of my diving equipment at Richards. I took lessons on the upper West side from Fran Garr, now a member of the Women Divers Hall of Fame. They weren't any kids at all in that class! My mom and dad pleaded with her to take me on. She did. I remember my open water dive in a quarry in upstate New York. Couldn't see a thing underwater. We were moving to the Canary Islands and I certainly wasn't going to learn there! If I recall it was a White Stag regulator with a Nemrod depth gauge. A small Voit 50cu. tank and a short sleeve Aqualung wet suit.
Memories...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom