Richelieu Rock for a Newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading my post I guess I should have not said it's an easy dive after only one time there. Conditions change is what you guys are saying but...I think that it is up to the dive leaders to determine on the specific day if the currents would be too difficult to dive after spending a few days with the divers and getting to know them.

Do you feel that this diver should not consider going on a trip to Similan because there might be a chance that on the day of the dive at Richelieu there might be a strong current? Are the other dives not worth the trip? I admit that I have only been to this site one time but I had a wonderful time along with the three other inexperienced divers and will be going back very soon. We all dove with some currents on a few dives but if my leader said I should sit one out due to difficulty of a dive I would have done so and still been happy on the trip.

QUOTE "I'm 38, and in good shape, so am I out of my league here, or is this dive site a possibility for someone with my limited experience? Thanks."

Is he out of his league? Is this dive POSSIBLY for someone with his limited experience?

Sorry for posting...I will make sure to get a few hundred dives done before doing so again.

Do you feel that this diver should not consider going on a trip to Similan because there might be a chance that on the day of the dive at Richelieu there might be a strong current? Are the other dives not worth the trip?
No - but it's not clear whether the OP was planning this dive in the context of a whole liveabord tour, with many dives, or a day trip to Richelieu. Whichever way though I'd consider that Richelieu is an advanced dive for lots of reasons. Considering that the OP also stated that he had problems with fast descents I think that also sends up a few warning signals.
On the other hand I also agree with you that if the guides don't think you can handle something they might be reticent to take you. In any event they'd be well within there rights not to allow someone only trained BOW (i.e. to 17m max depth) to go on this dive which is WAY past that. It probably depends on the guides though, and in the end they aren't babysitters and you're supposed to be responsible for yourself. There are lots of nice dives in the Similans though - suitable for very inexperienced divers, and good preparation to make the more challenging dives like Richelieu or Hin Duang - or several of the blue water pinnacle dives/fast current drift dives which are also there. Personally though I do think that to get the most out of the Similans at the very least you need to get AOW done so you have at least some idea of what you might be faced with above and beyond the pure basics of BOW. As I already said - I seriously think that for your own safety you at least need your descents, buoyancy, and smb use, at a good level of proficiency for the more challenging Similan sites.

Richelieu Rock is possibly the BEST divesite in the Thai part of the Andaman Sea. It is also one of those few places where environmental conditions can vary tremendously from basically one moment to the other (similar like Twin Peaks at Ko Tachai). It's NOT unusual to have both great and terrible visibility in ONE single dive and it's also NOT unusual to have strong currents and down-currents in ONE single dive. Surface conditions can be rough and tough when wind blows and current runs.
On the other hand it is also NOT unusual to do dive after dive with very pleasant and calm conditions.

The important thing to realize though is that you will NOT really know what the exact conditions will be when you are going to dive at Richelieu Rock. If conditions are less than ideal you may find yourself struggling throughout your dive and not be able to enjoy the reef and its critters. You may even end up away from the reef within minutes if you are unable to descent at the right spot and possibly have to abort your dive there and then.

I recommend you get some more dive experience first before you indulge yourself in Richelieu Rock. You've only done few dives and there are SO many great places to dive around Phuket where you will see lots of cool creatures AND will be able to build up experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom