Richmond-Lexington diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivanrmz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys, I'm a Puerto Rican diver, started diving less than 2 years ago, I have over 140 dives under my belt. My sister lives in the Richmond-Lexington area. And I will be visiting her during Thanksgiving. I would like to ask you what kind of good dive sites can I find close to that region. And also I would like to know what kind of wetsuit are we talking about? For KY and also for that time of the year... I'm used to wearing a 2/3 mils wetsuit, I did some diving in Catalina Island in CA last May and it was sooo cold, so I want to know what I'm getting myself into before hand... Thanks for all your suggestions!
Ivan

In that area of KY, the only official dive site I'm familiar with is Falling Rock Park in LaGrange. Not saying there aren't some lakes available to dive in, just not familiar with them. That time of year (late Nov.) in these parts the water is really starting to cool off in most places. It would be in the realm of a 7mm or 2 pc. 7mm wetsuits. The temps are typically in the 50's that time of year. Mostly depending on how much the general weather is cooling down. This summer has been rather cool, so the waters haven't warmed up like they usually do. Not meaning to be discouraging, but it is what it is.

In that area of KY, the only official dive site I'm familiar with is Falling Rock Park in LaGrange. The temps are typically in the 50's that time of year.

Going back through my dive log, temps in the 25' range in November is in the 58-63 degree range. Also, FRP is officially closed in November, special arrangements can be made off season for groups of divers though.

Hey guys, thanks for the comments... wow... 58 - 63 eh? That's quite colder than I'm used too... I will figure out what to do in the following weeks I guess... Thanks for all your input
Ivan

If you are willing/able to drive, about 4 hours away near Paducah Ky is mermet springs in Illinois. It is a great place to dive and I am sure they will be open.

I've never been to Mermet in Nov, I do know most of my dives down there have been mid-40's as far diving below the mid season thermoclines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom