Rig Transport and After-dive Rinse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there any issue with depressurizing the rig after a dive, leaving everything connected, transporting the rig home, repressuring, then rinsing? This is intended for pool sessions.

Anybody transport their rig in the car with it assembled? Do you lay it flat or upright? I assume straps are involved in some cases. I have tried various options, curious what others do.

Side question, anyone know how to remove the dust cap from a Scubapro mk17 DIN. I want to leave it off during the dive. Perhaps it's in the manual, but I'm out and about at the moment.

Thanks all.

--
David

I may leave the bc and regulator on the tank during trasport but NEVER leave the first stage connected to the Tank during transport or when there is ANY chance the tank may fall down.

I always remove the reg and put it on top of my wet suit in the wet box. The tank stays on the BP/W for a short trip. For most traveling everything is packed and tied down. The reg would be fine on the tank if nothing goes wrong, however, in my experience, I have rarely been able to predict when an accident will happen.

Bob

For my summer diving I transport the rig with BC on and weights in the pockets. I lie it down with tank on the floor, and secure stuff around it so it can't move in any direction (I use the weight belt and rinse bin mainly for that). I put the reg on and off at the dive site. I used to put the reg on and even turn the air on prior to the drive, but not after that time I threw on the breaks causing something to hit the purge button....
For my short winter dives I drive like 2-3 blocks, so the reg is attached before I start to drive, which is now one thing I don't have to do with bare hands while gearing up in sub-freezing weather. I also drive to and from the site(s) with my wetsuit on. But I still wait to get there to turn on the air. A lot of work for one 20 minute winter dive in 38F water.

By then rinsing I assume you are asking what you do with the reg. I know the best idea is to keep it hooked up and pressurized while rinsing. I have always taken it off and rinsed it and everything separately. Then dry out the first stage and dust cap with my T shirt. And the dust cap with a bit of tank air (yes, done properly so no water enters the first stage and no one is near me to be annoyed with the oh so terrible hiss). I have had no problems with my reg in 14 years and it was bought used in 2005. Except one busted hose that was my fault for somehow letting it get under my tank bottom when gearing up.

I use a set of twin HP 130s, and build everything at home, lie it down and tie it down in the back of the truck. Then gearing up is simple, pressurize, stand it up and don it, walk into the lake. Since it is fresh water diving, I often skip rinsing my gear. Afterva dive, I depressurize it, but normally leave it assembled until I take it in for a fill (and only pull one regular off to do that). I only deviate from this routine if it is cold enough to freeze - then I break down my gear and towel dry the hard components .

On my trips to the ocean I do the same, trying to keep everything wet (throw a wet towel over the gear) until the last day of diving when rinse everything down.

Two decades, no problems from handling my gear like this.

I may leave the bc and regulator on the tank during trasport but NEVER leave the first stage connected to the Tank during transport or when there is ANY chance the tank may fall down.

Why do you think it is such a bad idea to leave a first stage attached during transport?

Why do you think it is such a bad idea to leave a first stage attached during transport?
Good way to bust up your first stage... Ask me how I know.

FWIW, some AI transmitters are turned on with pressure, leaving it pressurized for extended periods of time will obviously drain the battery.

Meh, maybe. Obviously I take care and my DINs are pretty low profile, but I routinely leave mine attached and lay cylinders flat in the back of the vehicle. They get bounced around more laid out in the boat. Certainly worth being careful, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom