Right Place at Right Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI's Junior AOW is for 12 to 14 year olds. So you're all more or less correct (except for the stupid quip about 14 yr old DMs.) The 12 yr old and the 13 yr old could both qualify for the AOW class and earn a JAOW cert.

15 and up get the regular AOW cert. The main difference between "Junior" and regular is PADI's recommended depth limit: 70 feet for junior, 100 feet for regular.

glad you were there. I only have a little over 200 dives and my advanced card. all my dives have been here in the Philippines where I retired at the end of 2010. Even with my experience, I check and double check everything and I well know if something goes even slightly wrong under water that a nit picking issue can balloon to life threatening if you panic. Both divers were way over their heads. Good thing you were there.

I'm a little like these two I guess and can relate a little. I did my certification in a lake in my home state. Went to Hawaii and am the only one in my family that dives, so I'm that guy on the boat who is the third wheel, which makes me uncomfortable as both the new guy and the outsider.

My points being the following. First I'll admit that I didn't know I'm supposed to stay at 60' or less having only OW versus AOW. Maybe my instructor mentioned it, but I only remember a 100' limit. Second, maybe I don't (or didn't back then) understand the role of the dive guide. I basically followed them around, and thought that was what I was supposed to do - that he's the boss. In Hawaii, where the DMs knew I was a rookie, my first 7 dives in the ocean (two separate trips, two companies, two islands) were at the following depths in feet: 68, 35, 82, 79, 87, 67, 88. I wouldn't have considered saying to the guide where we should level off.

I hope I wasn't as unprepared as the divers the OP mentions on my first trip, and all my dives were fine and I was in a small group of 4 and 3 each time. And I think in this story OP did a great job. I only mention this all just because many of you have tons of experience, and so I thought I'd share what some of us new divers are learning/understanding/misunderstanding: a) I had to get into the ocean at some point when I didn't get certified in the ocean so I am sorry to bug other divers who don't want on a boat with newbies, but had to do it eventually; b) I was very reliant on the guide, but had been under the impression that was their role once we were in the water, almost like they were still my instructor; c) was told when calling around that 100' wreck was no big deal for a rookie but could do a shallow dive if I prefer by one company, and d) my guides in Hawaii, and since then about 20 times in Asia, have all taken me below 60'. The one place I was told it was a problem was in Malapascua, where they wouldn't let me dive without AOW unless I paid for my own personal guide.

Again, I'm not being critical of OP or saying these two knew what they were doing. I think he did great. I'm just sharing my experience as one of those new guys who got certified far from the ocean in the past 15 months.

Back
Top Bottom