Rincon Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXRoss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fellow dive fanatics:

I am considering purchasing a retirement home in Puerto Rico. I have found some nice homes in the Rincon area. Anybody know anything about this area? Also, how is the shore diving in Puerto Rico? I would welcome any advice on diving and / or retiring in Puerto Rico.

Thanks,
Roger

Taino Divers is the dive shop in Rincon and it has a great reputation. There is also a blog at Rincon Puerto Rico - Moving, building and adjusting to life in sleepy North West corner of the Caribbean island. about a family that moved from California to Rincon.

I really like Puerto Rico and have traveled there yearly for six years. I have thought about retiring there as well. The one thing that I would research is medical care. US medicare is accepted there so you'd be fine in that sense. I saw one large hospital in Mayaguez and another in San German. I assume there is one in Aguadilla as well. One of the differences, though, is that you don't make an appointment for doctors like you do on the mainland. You show up and wait.

In terms of shopping, there are major grocery stores that have much of what you would expect from the US along with more Latino products. Mayaguez has a good sized mall with stores like Sears. There is also a large outlet mall in Barceloneta.

If you can speak Spanish it does help. If you're open to it, please PM me and let me know how it goes.

J:

Thanks for the great info.

Currently we are 6 years from retirement, but are considering buying a retirement home now. We are going to try to go to PR early next year. I will absolutely keep you informed of anything I run across.

Thanks Again,
Roger

what type of budget are you talking about, for buying, a home..Rincon is a small town with 8 miles of different beaches..from surfing to snorkeling to calm beaches. Taino divers can bring you out to the Island of Desecheo, for awesome diving..and I do mean awesome.. you should check out there site for pictures and things www . tainodivers . com
But some of the better waters for diving is down south in La Parguera, www . paradisescubasnorkelingpr . com
If you ever travel down here, the people are very friendly, and most speak English in Rincon-Spanish would be a plus but not necessary, I have been down here for 7 years and run a vacation rental, www . prVacationRental . com and do not speak any spanish,and I am trying to learn... If you do go to Mayaguez, or other outlying towns spanish would be very helpful.. Puerto Rico, excepts most insurances, depending on the doctors, the hospitals are very good, and yes there is no making appointments you go, put your name on a list and wait..But I have learned being from NY, I dont like to wait so, I have picked doctors that do by appointments...far and few but there out there.. I have had an operation out here, went well no complications, and only my arms and legs fell off..Kidding..everything went great..I would think the only bad thing about puerto rico is that its hard to get things done..there are too relaxed here and everything takes TIME.... But that isnt so bad, and the other thing..Import tax..so when buying a new/used car or boat..Dam...its expensive,...about 3-5 thousand more than the going price back in the states....Well good luck with your move..see you in the water..

Hola,

I am an American student, and Divemaster, and I live in Puerto Rico. I had fallen in love with every aspect of this island. I also spend a lot of time in the Rincon/ Aguadilla area. There is quite a bit of good diving in that area. Just go to a local dive shop and ask. A few popular ones are Playa Crashboat, Tres Palmas, and shacks. As far as Spanish I would recommend learning it if you can. Most people speak English, but it always helps to know it. If you have any questions let me know!

Buen Suerte!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom